Verter Buck Boost wrong outupt voltage!

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stanrock

Verter Buck Boost wrong outupt voltage!

Post by stanrock »

Hi,

I was hoping to use the VERTER buck/boost 5V regulator to power my Feather M0. I purchased two of these regulators which are advertised to provide 5V from 3-12V. They both provide a consistent 5.45V across the input voltages. This not the 5.2ish voltage promised.

Are these units defective, or am I using them wrong?

Thanks for the help!

I love Adafruit!

Bob Stanfield
Saline, Michigan
Wiring and the DVM
Wiring and the DVM
image1.jpeg (108.51 KiB) Viewed 103 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (99.17 KiB) Viewed 103 times
This shows my load of a Feather M0 module
This shows my load of a Feather M0 module
image0.jpeg (145.93 KiB) Viewed 103 times

mikeysklar

Re: Verter Buck Boost wrong outupt voltage!

Post by mikeysklar »

Hi Bob,

The Verter 5v is a buck converter, but not as good a booster as our PowerBoost series.

https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=powerboost&b=1

The 5.42v will not be a problem for the Feather M0 since it has a 3v3 regulator. That voltage will likely change as your input voltage to the VERTER changes.

Is there a reason you did not want to power your M0 directly off a LiPo? That would be a lot more efficient. I take it there are device that require 5v that you need to power?

stanrock

Post by stanrock »

Well... its a long story :-)

I built a project using the M0/LORA module to measure water levels in the local creek. It is all powered by your older solar charger and panel assembly. The solar panel / charger module will load share and take the input voltages up to 6.7V which is playing some havic with my TPL5110 timer, which I am using to turn the M0 on and off. I read around and it looks like 5.45 V will be ok for my application, so I am going to use it.
I just didn't know it was supposed to be that high..I thought the voltage was 5.2.
Bob

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I have a verter arriving today. I'll check out the voltage I see on it. If it is also higher than stated on the product page and not adjustable I'll ask engineering to update the description.

stanrock

Post by stanrock »

Thanks,

I decided not to use it in my project. It uses at least 5ma all the time and it is too much for my battery powered project. In Michigan in the winter, these Lipo batteries lose a lot of their capacity. The VERTER was quickly draining my battery, so I decided not to use it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”