ES120 Motor Issue

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blablabliam

ES120 Motor Issue

Post by blablabliam »

Howdy,

I have an ES120 screwdriver I purchased a while back, and I love it. However, it has recently started having an issue that leads me to suspect a worn out motor.

Problem:
After turning about 1 rotation, the screwdriver will immediately halt. The screen shows the screw stop turning at the same time, indicating that the firmware is aware of the stop. When the motor is disconnected, the electronics do not stop, and continue to provide ~5V as long as the button is held and the driver is twisted. All contacts are clean, suggesting that there isn't an issue in providing power to the motor. Likewise, the battery and electronics are all in good condition.

If anyone can help me get my hands on a replacement motor, or point me to where I can order a new motor, or sell me their broken screwdriver for parts, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tepalia02

Re: ES120 Motor Issue

Post by tepalia02 »

blablabliam

Post by blablabliam »

The motor is too big to be a vibration motor. Want me to post the motor dimensions?

blablabliam

Post by blablabliam »

Well, Miniware responded to me saying essentially 'buy the ES121'. I asked if they could tell me where the motor came from, and they said it was a custom built motor. Essentially, there is no replacement motor. This is painful; I really liked the driver, and the other parts are still in great condition.

blablabliam

Post by blablabliam »

I *might* have found an acceptable replacement motor for the driver. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 1G/2417078

This meets the dimension and voltage requirements, at least.

I will order it, and report back if it works.

blablabliam

Post by blablabliam »

IT WORKS! MY SCREWDRIVER IS BACK TO LIFE!

I was able to remove the pinion gear and wire harness from the original motor and install them on the new motor. For the gear, I had to heat the gear to >260 C using a soldering iron. I suspect loctite was used in the original gear. The motor is wound reverse to the original, so you need to flip the red and black wires when replacing the motor with this substitute part.

The resulting screwdriver seems a little slower, but the torque seems a bit higher. I prefer this tradeoff.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”