PowerBoost Shield 500mA+ Sudden Stop

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
IanLukeFinley

PowerBoost Shield 500mA+ Sudden Stop

Post by IanLukeFinley »

Ah, I was so close to having this project complete and victorious!

I received a Adafruit PowerBoost 500 Shield - Rechargeable 5V Power today, soldered in the headers and switch, attached a LiPo 3.7V 2000mAH battery and set it in my adafruit Metro. Initially, it worked fine: flip the switch, lights on both boards turn on, brilliant.

Then I plugged in the system it was running: a data input at pin 5 from an LED strip, and then outputs from 5V and GND that split to give power and ground to that LED strip, and then continued on to a second adafruit Metro (VIN and GND) to power that board and the separate LED strip it controls (I use two boards for various reasons, can explain more fully if useful). And I flipped the switch! And for two great seconds, all the LEDs worked with both different animations! And then they stopped.

And now the poor thing won't do anything at all. I flip the switch, no lights. The orange CHG light on the shield and the green ON light on the Metro turn on when I plug them into a miniUSB from the wall, but nothing else. I've also tried with another identical, fully charged battery. Nothing.

Is it possible I've drawn too much and blown a fuse? Have I set up something wrong? Even if I can fix or replace this shield, would it be preferable to power the bother Metro with a separate battery and shield? All input gratefully received!
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (30.71 KiB) Viewed 139 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PowerBoost Shield 500mA+ Sudden Stop

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you disconnect the Shield from the rest of the circuit, but leave the battery plugged in, what voltage do you see on the 5V output pin?

IanLukeFinley

Post by IanLukeFinley »

Sorry, I should have included that information. Even when the shield is removed from the Metro, no lights turn on, including the 5V indicator. I will note that the indicator blinks on for half a second when I first plug the battery into the JST, but nothing else. I flip the switch back and forth, and only tragic darkness meets my eye.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What voltages do you see? I know what values to expect at various points in the circuit, and the numbers can help me identify the kind of failure.

IanLukeFinley

Post by IanLukeFinley »

Oh, I'm sorry, I had misread your earlier post. I"m getting a reading of .001 to .002 on that pin with my multimeter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”