PiGRRL Zero - alternatives to tactile buttons?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
t0r1n

PiGRRL Zero - alternatives to tactile buttons?

Post by t0r1n »

Hey guys,

Im currently building a PiGRRL Zero. I built the PiGRRL 2.0 and love it. As Im getting ready to build the new one, I would really like less "clicky" buttons. Not knowing much regarding terminology for press button switches, what should I be looking for? Specifically I am looking for something closer to what would be used in a typical controller. That being said, I do realize that typical controllers generally don't use anything similar to whats in the kit. My hope would be to find a type of 4mm switch I could use to replace the tactile ones in the kit that would give a more controller like feel. Any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Ryan

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PiGRRL Zero - alternatives to tactile buttons?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

A controller uses flexible membrane buttons like we have for the Trellis:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1611

Those are a favorite of companies already doing injection molding anyway, but each one is custom-formed for the product it goes into. They don't exist as discrete devices.

You can chop up a controller and connect the switches to the RasPi (that's what the PiGrrl proect does), or you can hit Digikey and Mouser looking for low activation force tact switches.

t0r1n

Post by t0r1n »

I think ill give butchering up a SNES controller and modifying the case a go. If I have any luck Ill post the results. Thanks!
-Ryan

t0r1n

Post by t0r1n »

I have not had a chance to butcher up a SNES controller yet. I was looking at the website today and saw https://www.adafruit.com/products/3101 . Looks like these are exactly what I needed!!!! Thought I would post this in this thread in case anyone else is looking for a similar solution!

Thanks guys!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yep, we just added those.

aspiringnobody

Post by aspiringnobody »

Those tac switches don't fit on the version of the PCB I received with my kit. They work for the dpad but won't fit on the action buttons.

- Evan

aspiringnobody

Post by aspiringnobody »

aspiringnobody wrote:Those tac switches don't fit on the version of the PCB I received with my kit. They work for the dpad but won't fit on the action buttons.

- Evan
I take that back, I was able to get them to fit, but it's super sketchy. you need to insert X and B first, and then when you insert Y and A you'll have to bend the pins sideways in towards the center. I'm still waiting on parts to finish so I don't know how they actually work being slightly out of place. I'll update next week when I get the rest of the parts I need to boot it up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”