Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

SIM Reader - Can I distract hidden phone numbers?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

SIM Reader - Can I distract hidden phone numbers?

by Mico on Thu May 14, 2009 3:33 am

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to read for example the last ten numbers who called me on my sim and if those are hidden phone numbers, can I read the number anyway with the sim reader?

Thanks in advance.

Mico
Mico

Re: SIM Reader - Can I distract hidden phone numbers?

by adafruit on Thu May 14, 2009 1:01 pm

depends completely on your phone

adafruit

by Mico on Thu May 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Depends on the phone or on the sim? I want to use sim card reader to read a hidden number from a stalker calling me.. is that possible?
Mico

by Amberwolf on Thu May 14, 2009 4:48 pm

I dont' know how the sim works, but you might see if your provider supports Call Trace, which exists exactly for this purpose.

It is probably *57, dialled right after such an incoming call.

Google "Call Trace" for a whole bunch of listings, including several phone service providers' pages on the topic.

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs3-hrs2.htm
Watch me build an electric bike from assorted junk!
Alternative Energy Sources for the Home from Recycled Junk
A subsidiary of Cybernetic Necromancers, Discorporated:
"We Bring Dead Things To Life"
Amberwolf

by phil.drummond on Thu May 14, 2009 11:05 pm

If Caller ID is not provided (happens between the first and second ring on a land-line, happens inside the cell phone a lot differently) then there is no information to process. If you receive a "hidden number" call from someone then there is nothing in the Caller ID packet. Nothing to record on the SIM or in your phone.

Try the suggestion to have your phone service provider trace the call, and if it's life threatening, call the police.

If it's just a nuisance call, get into the habit of NOT answering calls with no Caller ID information.
I -never- answer any cell phone call without an identifying number. Everyone I know including my Mom knows to text me or use a "real" phone that ID's it's self if they want a reply from my cell phone... my house phone is another thing. I don't have Caller ID on it and am quite willing to answer it anytime. It is on the do-not-call list, has been from the beginning of the program, and when it rings it's someone I want to talk to. :)

Phil
phil.drummond

by Mico on Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 am

well I can't ignore hidden phone number because for example, calls from a hospital are hidden phone numbers as well..

When i'm being called on my mobile phone there is usually a phone number on my screen, except for when people call me with their mobile phones, and choose to not send their number with the call. My phone provider can actually see what the number is so i guess something on my sim decides not to show the number...

I think I know who is calling me, it's probably even someone in my phone's phonebook. I want to know if its possible to read that hidden phonenumber with sim reader.

The only thing the provider can do for me is when I have the dates and times of ten of those calls, send a letter to the "stalker" and if there will then be more phonecalls, they can give me the callers identity.

Is simreader suitable for what I want to do with it?

Thanks alot for the answers so far.
Mico

by charliex on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Your carrier knows the number, since its part of the billing and system,. But they don't always send the information, plus some networks still don't have the ability to provide that information.

The CPN has a privacy flag in it, this is stripped by your carrier / receiving switch, if its set , before being sent on to your phone.

Its easy to bypass it, if you can control the switch.
http://032.la - Null Space Labs.
charliex

by richms on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:42 am

Pretty lousy hospital to not show the number. The ones I get calls from either have the DID of the person calling, or if its not got one the main operator number showing.

Only hidden numbers I ever see are from dodgey finance companies, debt collectors or telemarketers from overseas who I cant understand. IMO there is no legitmate reason for a business to not provide a number, so I choose to not answer calls with no number.

richms

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.