J-Link EDU Target Voltage Detection

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
animationb

J-Link EDU Target Voltage Detection

Post by animationb »

The J-Link EDU is not able to read the correct Target Voltage from two separate ATSAMD21G18A's I've tested with it. Both return a reading of 0.0V.
One ATSAMD21 is in an Arduino MKRZero and the other is in an Arduino MKR1000.

This is the setup:
- The J-Link is plugged into the computer with it's driver package installed and Atmel Studio open, like in this tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/proper-step- ... 0?view=all
- The MKR1000 has wires connecting from it's 10-pin connector to the proper pins on the J-Link's 20-pin connector. Most importantly, the wire carrying the target voltage is properly seated in pin 1 of the 20-pin connector. I've tested the connection as best as I can with the continuity setting of my multimeter.
- The MKR1000 is powered on and the voltage across it's GND and VCC, both connected to the J-Link, is 3.3V. I tested this with the same multimeter.
- SWDIO and SWCLK are also connected to the proper pins. RESET is as well, but as the tutorial linked above states, it is not necessary.
- In Atmel Studio I go to Tools>Device Programmer. From here I select "J-Link" as the Tool, "ATSAMD21G18A" as the Device, "SWD" as the Interface, and click apply. This step goes well.
- When I click "Read" near the "Target Voltage" box, the J-Link and Atmel Studio report back "0.0V", which is wrong.

What am I missing? Do I have a faulty J-Link EDU?
Thank you for the help ahead of time.

adafruit2

Re: J-Link EDU Target Voltage Detection

Post by adafruit2 »

please post a photo of your setup - jlinks are pretty well made and very rugged - its unlikely its the jlink!

animationb

Post by animationb »

It's fixed.
It's going to sound crazy, but it works now, and the only thing that's changed is the date on the calendar.
In all likelihood, it's possible I plugged something in the wrong pin on the J-Link, but i checked those 4 times.
Either way, thank you very much for the support!
The setup I list above works.

ifenta

Post by ifenta »

I am also having trouble on connecting my ATSAMD21G18A to the J-Link Base; I've used it well in the past, however today it's not working.

I created a custom PCB and wanted to program it but the J-Link was detecting 0.0V. So I tested with my featherboard M0 to see if my circuit was the problem, however the featherboard didnt work either. Below are images of how I soldered the connections and ran Atmel Studio. Again, it has worked fine in the past year I've used it, however today its not working.

Thanks!
Attachments
J-Link Issue Pictures.zip
(497.52 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you may have the wrong pins, thats really common? check the voltages with a multimeter of course
for any other tech support on the jlinks, please contact segger: https://www.segger.com/

etoilexxx

Post by etoilexxx »

I just bought edu mini and I am very happy with the results so far. I have one question, pin1 supposed to be the Vcc, when I measure the voltage on it, I don't get a constant 3.3V, it gives a random reading under 1.3V. Is my unit defective?

Thanks,
Fahd

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you must PROVIDE vcc to it

etoilexxx

Post by etoilexxx »

I thought it was and output. So I have to provide voltage to the module being programmed separately, right?

Thanks for the quick reply in such a cold and sunny day

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

no - it is not an output, you must provide the logic voltage to that pin

etoilexxx

Post by etoilexxx »

Got it thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”