Raspberry Pi Zero W
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi Zero W

by carlo4 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Just ordered (1379021-8310974885) a Pi Zero W
Board was dead on arrival. No sign of life with power plugged in.

carlo4

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W

by michaelmeissner on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:08 pm

If you've never used a Raspberry Pi Zero before, there are three common gotchas:

1) There is no power on indication until the machine boots the operating system. This means if you don't have a proper micro-SD card in the card reader (or it isn't far enough in to make contacts), you won't see anything.

2) You need to make sure you plug the micro-USB cable into the correct slot. If you have the Pi Zero W so that the card reader is to the left, the power USB slot is the one on the right side that says PWR IN.

3) You need to make sure that your micro USB cable provides enough power. A random USB cable might only deliver 500mA or less. Even USB adapters that can deliver 1A to 2A often times do not deliver higher voltages unless the micro USB identifies itself as a device that can accept the higher voltages. I don't think Raspberry Pi's provide this information.

michaelmeissner

by Leomod on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Got my pi zero w starter pack today, on pi day 2017, inserted provided 8 gig micro sd preloaded with noobs, connect to monitor, connect keyboard to left micro usb, plugged supplied power supply to right micro usb, and nothing, no led, nothing on screen. Kinda hard to be positive and constructive

Leomod

by carlo4 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 am

I have used over 60 rasp. pi zero in the last year. Never had an issue.
As an added piece of info, all SD Cards I tried get extremely hot as soon as power is supplied.

carlo4

by holtc on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Leomod wrote:Got my pi zero w starter pack today, on pi day 2017, inserted provided 8 gig micro sd preloaded with noobs, connect to monitor, connect keyboard to left micro usb, plugged supplied power supply to right micro usb, and nothing, no led, nothing on screen. Kinda hard to be positive and constructive

I am having the same issue, also received mine today in the mail.

EDIT: Purchased the budget pack

EDIT2: This worked once I reinstalled NOOBS on the SD

holtc

by carlo4 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:16 am

So what now?

carlo4

by Altivo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 am

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=113576

I had the same issue. The version of NOOBS on pre-loaded cards is not working with Pi Zero W. You need to download a fresh image from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS_latest and rewrite your SD card. Then the boot works.

Altivo

by mparamas on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 pm

When I received my Pi Zero W, older version of raspbian I had on "Pi zero" did not work on Pi Zero W (Green LED on Pi Zero W did not light up indicating it was not booting up). I also had a static RGB display from HDMI output. Considering firmware changes in Pi Zero W, I downloaded "RASPBIAN JESSIE WITH PIXEL" kernel version 4.4 (latest as of now) from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and cloned it to a micro SD card. Then the Pi Zero W booted fine.

If you have no HDMI display/signal at all, you may first check your HDMI adapter and HDMI cable by connecting them to a tablet first.

mparamas

by michaelmeissner on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:13 am

would hope that Adafruit will reflash the NOOBs on the disks they send out for future Raspberry Pi Zero W shipments (and probably for all Pi shipments). Yeah, I know it can be a hassle to update all of the micro-SD cards, but I suspect a fair number of people buying Pi kits do so because they won't have to mess with downloading and installing to the micro-SD. That's the reason they buy a kit in the first place (well the other reason might be the kit might be the only Zero W that was currently in stock).

I assumed the Zero W wouldn't need a new kernel/utilities for at least basic functionality. I had hoped to just move my current setup from my Pi Zero to the new Pi Zero W, without having to redo the installation. I hate doing installations, and moving my stuff over, making sure everything is moved.

Sigh. Just to be clear, the issue that the Zero W won't boot with older kernels is a Raspberry Pi issue, not an Adafruit issue. The Adafruit issue is just they didn't seem to update their boot disks.

michaelmeissner

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:30 am

We got the OS image for the Zero-W within 24 hours of getting the hardware to sell.

While I'm sure people would have waited patiently and graciously for us if we'd said, "we have 'em, but won't be putting them in the shop until we've re-imaged a couple thousand SD cards" ...

[This has been a test of the Emergency Rhetorical Device Service. If your system did not register 'litotes', consult a rhetorician]

... we made the choice that would put hardware in people's hands as quickly as possible.

We've had a team re-imaging cards since we got the master, and should be back in sync before long.

adafruit_support_mike

by michaelmeissner on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 am

I dunno, I think Adafruit made the wrong choice in this case. Implicit in buying a package with a SD card is that the SD card actually works as advertised. Certainly the Zero W's without packaged SD cards could go out as soon as you get stock, but Adafruit shouldn't have put the packaged deals out until they had time to reflash the SD cards. Otherwise you just get bad publicity, like this thread.

michaelmeissner

by carlo4 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am

By reflashing the SD Card everything worked well. Thanks

What I find bizzarre is that I actually melted a SD Card inside this Pi. It split in half and had to take it out with tweezers.
This card had been working fine on another Pi-zero (non W) with my own software.
I tried 3 different SD Card and all got extremely hot.

The reflashed SD Card with Noobs does not heat up.

carlo4

by wreckweim on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 am

Altivo wrote:See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=113576

I had the same issue. The version of NOOBS on pre-loaded cards is not working with Pi Zero W. You need to download a fresh image from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS_latest and rewrite your SD card. Then the boot works.

I just got my RPi W starter kit today. Mine also did not work. I get the rainbow screen but no boot up. I put my SD card in my Pi 2 and it worked. I plugged in my RPi W to my computer to check out if it was "alive" like a post in the learn section suggested. It was recognized fine. I used two different power supplies (both for Pis, one of which came in the kit) and no boot. My SD card I use for my PI 2 did not boot in my RPi W. I am curious what OS I can use my RPi W for if it only works with the newest OS. My Pi 2 has the latest OSMC update on it and it did not work on the W. At first I thought I might have damaged it by plugging the power in the USB. But I still get the rainbow screen and no burn smells. I think I have done what I can for now except for the latest image. I will be trying what Altivo suggests and hope that solves the problem.

wreckweim

by vincentmaggard on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Hello,
Vincent Here And I'm Having Some Issues With A New Raspberry Pi Zero W That I Ordered The Other Day.
It Will Not Boot With A SD Card With A OS On It And The CPU Gets Very Hot After Sending Power To The Power In Port.
The CPU Also Smells Like Burning Wire Or Something.

vincentmaggard

by mugenbb6 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm also having the exact same issues with my recently purchased zero w. When I first powered on, it had a burning smell. I've verified the sd card works fine with my other pi. I've also followed these instructions exactly to verify if it's dead (https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... -zero-dead), and my pc does not prompt a new device is plugged in.

mugenbb6

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.