Ultimate GPS PC Tool How-to?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ultimate GPS PC Tool How-to?

by TomGPS on Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Are there any instructions or tutorials for getting the PC Tool to work with a Windows PC. Setting up the physical connection isn't covered in the manual.

Separately, does the PC Tool indicate whether the module is running off its internal antenna or an external antenna, and/or indicate signal strength?

TomGPS

Re: Ultimate GPS PC Tool How-to?

by TomGPS on Wed May 10, 2017 4:13 pm

And...

Does the GPS module really "switch-over" to the external antenna as advertised, or does an external antenna really just boost the signal a bit? I put the GPS module in my refrigerator to block it off from the GPS satellites and, without an antenna, it never got a fix. Then I connected the GPS antenna sold by Adafruit (with Adafruit's little pink u.FL adapter), and left the GPS module in the fridge with the antenna out where it could get a good signal -- but It still never got a fix.

Thinking maybe the external antenna didn't work at all, I then put the gps module on a table inside, with the antenna outside, and cold-started it with and without the antenna, and timed how long it took to get a fix. I did 10 back to back boot-ups and every time it would get a fix faster with the antenna attached -- anywhere from 10 seconds to over a minute faster. So the external antenna does seem to at least boost the signal, but I question whether it really "switches over" to the external antenna in light of the no-fix refrigerator results.... Anyone know for sure?

TomGPS

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.