iPad connection

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jsegu

Re: iPad connection

Post by jsegu »

@All,
I come from viewtopic.php?f=57&t=122768, I am facing the same issue.
Please let me introduce my information. Seems it does not reconnect on any iOS device (I've tried many)

- Photo of the board wiring(attached) Just take into account I am using usb power supply instead of battery
- Bluefruit Firmware: Feathear BLE Friend 32u4 Version 0.7.7
- iOS Devices attemped: Ipad Air 2 ios version 10.3.3, Iphone 5S version 10.3.3, Iphone 7+ version 10.3.3
- Copy of the code (7z file attached)
Logs/outputs are also attached in referenced on thread above.
Attachments
feather-ble-keyboard-n-jacks.7z
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 948 times

Matt1995

Post by Matt1995 »

Having the same issue here. Using a Feather 32u4 firmware 0.6.7. Was going to update firmware but it appears that doesnt fix it.
Its simple to duplicate the issue. I just loaded the "HIDcontrolKey example. Using an Android 6.0 phone.

EDIT- If BT on phone is turned off or connection lost:
If factory reset is set to "0", then only a unpair/pair process makes it work again.
If factory reset is set to "1", then a power cycle or board reset makes it work again, without having to unpair/pair again.
This means it wont auto-connect, and you have to select the bluefruit in the list to connect again.

It seems like when BT connection is lost, it stops comms with the main processor/ sketch code, until a reset.
When connected to the computer, there was a few times it worked with BT off then on..strange.
For external power, I did comment out the (while !serial) line as well, but no change there either.

Feather 32u4 0.6.7
Android 6.0
Windows 10 laptop for arduino IDE

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

Just as a heads up, we're still actively working on solving this with a firmware update. Thanks for your patience.

hathach

Post by hathach »

Hi all,

we just push an beta firmware 0.8.0 (21 Sep). Please try to upgrade to this firmware. Please remember to perform a factory reset (using command or hardware pin) afterwards and try again to see if it could fix your issue.

alunsjones

Post by alunsjones »

I cannot access beta version 0.8.0 21 Sept. has this been removed? or updated?

Thanks
Alun

alunsjones

Post by alunsjones »

I cannot access beta version 0.8.0 21 Sept. has this been removed? or updated?

Thanks
Alun

hathach

Post by hathach »

No, it is still there. You need go to ios setting -> bluefruit -> enable beta firmware to enable the beta feature

seearebe

Post by seearebe »

At least I know I am not going crazy now that I found this thread. It is a year later and this problem still exists with 32u4 BLE boards recently purchased (09/18) directly from Adafruit. Has there been any resolution to this at all? Did the beta firmware work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am trying to produce some devices that use the Vol+/-, previou/next track functions and they work great until you disconnect from power and have to re-pair every time.
Last edited by seearebe on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

grantbt

Post by grantbt »

Hi seearebe,

I have just run into this problem too. I have a selection of modules here so I will go through them to see if there is any improvement in 0.8.0 versus the other versions I have. My situation is that I have a microcontroller connected to the Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend via it's hardware UART at 9600 baud.

I am finding that with my modules+my hardware, also the example Arduino hardware+firmware, have problems. I have done many many tests and will do more now that I have found this thread. I find that the AT commands pretty much work as indicated, BUT after powering down, disconnecting or breaking the wireless connection by whatever means, the HID data is no longer being sent. Reconnection is not fully realized. For the example sketches I see the response "OK" to "AT+BleKeyboard=" commands (but no chars appear on the phone or PC), on my own hardware I get "ERROR" from "AT+BLEKEYBOARDCODE" commands. Only repairing allows for HID data to be sent again.

I have issues with Android and Win10. And probably other OSs and hardware that I haven't tried yet.

My searches eventually led me to this:

Version 0.7.0
Key bug fixes and changes in this release:
Fixed an issue with HID examples, where when paired with Central, a disconnect then reconnect could not send HID reports anymore.

But it sounds like 0.8.0 also has this problem? I will investigate and report.

ncornet

Post by ncornet »

I have same problem with my Android 8 smartphone and my windows 10 pc.
After factory reset I do:
AT+BLEKEYBOARDEN=1 which answer OK
AT+GAPDEVNAME=MY KEYBOARD which answer OK
ATZ which answer OK
Bound it on my phone and then send AT+BLEKEYBOARD=toto which answer OK and my phone write "toto"
put off and put on bluefruit then my phone automatically bound it, send AT+BLEKEYBOARD=toto which answer OK but my phone write nothing
put off and put on bluetooth on my phone (no need to forget pairing with "MY KEYBOARD") and then send AT+BLEKEYBOARD=toto which answer OK and my phone write "toto" (this test can help adafruit to found issue)

Until now, tests was done with bluefruit last version : 0.8.0

But I also test with previous version 0.7.7 and it is ok, no issue after reconnection. So it is a regression in version 0.8.0 (this test can also help adafruit to found issue)

grantbt

Post by grantbt »

Interesting, thanks. I will try downgrading the firmware on one of my modules and see what happens. I'm trying to use the UART Friend to talk HID (Android and Windows).

Are the release notes for v0.8.0 available anywhere? All I can locate are the notes in the PDF and they aren't up to date (Version 0.7.7 is the last mentioned).
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/download ... friend.pdf

I'm trying to remember why I went to 8 and I think it was because Win10 wasn't working.
Last edited by grantbt on Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seearebe

Post by seearebe »

Doing the Factory reset and upgrading to the SPIFriend 0.8.0 firmware seems to make it work with 3 different iPads (all different iOS versions including the latest) but not with my Android phone (running Android 9). Still no keyboard commands sent after powering the Feather off and on, even though it shows as connected again, both on the board and in the list of connected devices.

Will try downgrading firmware to see what happens with Android, although that isn't a deal killer for me at the moment.

grantbt

Post by grantbt »

ncornet wrote: Until now, tests was done with bluefruit last version : 0.8.0

But I also test with previous version 0.7.7 and it is ok, no issue after reconnection. So it is a regression in version 0.8.0 (this test can also help adafruit to found issue)
Thanks for this. I have downgraded and am doing tests now.

vvanhee

Post by vvanhee »

I'm also having this issue with latest firmware as of today and Android... Is anyone working on this anymore?

grantbt

Post by grantbt »

vvanhee wrote:I'm also having this issue with latest firmware as of today and Android... Is anyone working on this anymore?
Try 7.7. I think that's the last one that works, at least for me. I tried some of the later ones and no luck so far.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”