Will The Powerboost 1000C safely charging with a 2amp psu?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Gameboy_Geek

Will The Powerboost 1000C safely charging with a 2amp psu?

Post by Gameboy_Geek »

Hi, I was planning on building a PiGRRL2.0 and i'm a little confused about what it says on the Powerboost 1000C page and just wanted something clarified. I have a spare official 5v 2.0 amp Raspberry Pi powersupply, can i safely use this to charge the powerboost (or i suppose the battery through the powerboost) also i've heard the powerboost 1000C can get a littlee hot will that cause problems for the pigrrl?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Will The Powerboost 1000C safely charging with a 2amp ps

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That power supply should work. The PowerBoost charger section will draw only the current it needs.

Heating issues with the PowerBoost are generally on the boost end. High current loads make the boost circuit work extra hard. And that generates a lot of waste heat.

Gameboy_Geek

Post by Gameboy_Geek »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:That power supply should work. The PowerBoost charger section will draw only the current i needs.

Heating issues with the PowerBoost are generally on the boost end. High current loads make the boost circuit work extra hard. And that generates a lot of waste heat.
Thank you very much so it the pigrrl 2.0 should cause the boost to overheat? but still thanks for telling me, i was worried about breaking the project once I've made it because its a fairly significant investment so breaking it would be less than spectacular.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The PowerBoost 1000C should handle the PiGRRL by itself. But can get overloaded if you start to attach other things to it. Audio amplifiers in particular are power hungry and can result in overloading the PowerBoost.

Gameboy_Geek

Post by Gameboy_Geek »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The PowerBoost 1000C should handle the PiGRRL by itself. But can get overloaded if you start to attach other things to it. Audio amplifiers in particular are power hungry and can result in overloading the PowerBoost.
Thankyou very much, yeah im not adding anything extra but thankyou.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”