FT232H: Timeout while polling ftdi_read_data

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zsuri

FT232H: Timeout while polling ftdi_read_data

Post by zsuri »

Hi,

I ordered the board some weeks ago and now I am trying to make the board working on Ubuntu 16.04 - without any success. I follow the "official" guide here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ft2 ... t/overview
First I wanted to try if it works using screen command - screen terminates immediately, I couldn't communicate with the board
Then I installed the python library as described in the guide. Import works fine but when I start the sample script it waits some seconds and I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 12, in <module>
    ft232h = FT232H.FT232H()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/Adafruit_GPIO-1.0.3-py3.5.egg/Adafruit_GPIO/FT232H.py", line 165, in __init__
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/Adafruit_GPIO-1.0.3-py3.5.egg/Adafruit_GPIO/FT232H.py", line 249, in _mpsse_sync
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/Adafruit_GPIO-1.0.3-py3.5.egg/Adafruit_GPIO/FT232H.py", line 229, in _poll_read
RuntimeError: Timeout while polling ftdi_read_data for 2 bytes!
It seems it cannot communicate with the board again. Can somebody please help me how to make the board working?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: FT232H: Timeout while polling ftdi_read_data

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

To hit the simplest problem first, have you verified your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer?

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors on both ends but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day.

zsuri

Post by zsuri »

I have tried it on two computers: one of them is Ubuntu 16.04 32bit, the other is Ubuntu 16.04 64bit. Each has its own USB cable. I usually connect my phones to both computers and there is not any problem with the connections. What I can do is that I try to connect to a Windows 7 computer.

zsuri

Post by zsuri »

I have tried the simple serail communication on Windows 7 and it works fine. It seems it is an ubuntu 16.04 specific problem. Do you have any idea what to check on ubuntu? Meanwhile I try to find an older ubuntu version in order to make a try with screen.

adafruit_support_mike

No, I'm afraid we don't have any specific information about Ubuntu.

My guess is that it's related to libftdi, since that often causes trouble on other platforms, but that's as much as I know. You might try uninstalling that module, then building it from source on your own machine when you reinstall. There are cases where a prebuilt module doesn't like something on a specific machine.

zsuri

Post by zsuri »

Success on all areas:
- I tried gtkterm instead of screen on Ubuntu 16.04 and echo device is working fine
- I started the python script (flashing led) again at is is working fine
No communication problems anymore on Ubuntu 16.04 (although screen still terminates immediately)
I don't know what is happened in the last month, perhaps an update ...

adafruit_support_mike

It's hard to tell, there are lots of moving pieces.

I'm glad to hear it's working for you though. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”