Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board file limit

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
amshali

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board file limit

Post by amshali »

Hi

I got an Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB hoping it will be sufficient for my needs, but I have an issue with it. When I try to copy my files onto the board, it says that I cannot copy more than 255 files. I have about 500 small audio files which I wish to put on the board.

Anyone knows what shall I do? Do I have to reformat the board? Is this a FAT16 limitation?

Thanks for your help in advance.

cncfan

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board file limit

Post by cncfan »

HI

This is a great question, anyone have the answer as I have the same board and also would like to know?
Thanks
George

amshali

Post by amshali »

Can someone from adafruit help us please? My work is blocked on this.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If the VS1000 says it can only store 255 files, that’s its limit.

The VS1000 isn’t a general USB storage device. It just provides a USB interface to its Flash storage array. The datasheet isn’t explicit about the limits of that interface, but it sounds like the firmware uses an 8-bit index to handle stored files internally.

If you need arbitrary file storage, you’ll probably need the Music Maker instead of the FX Board.

amshali

Post by amshali »

Is it possible for us to use a different firmware? I bought this being under impression that the 16mb would be enough to store my 1000 small files.
Can I return and replace this board with that maker one?

adafruit_support_mike

The only way to replace the firmware would be with the manufacturer's proprietary toolchain, which costs a lot more than the board.

If you've purchased the FX Board in the last 30 days and the board is still in the same condition as when it came out of the bag, we can do an exchange. You'll need to pay the return shipping, plus any price difference with the Music Maker you choose.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to [email protected] and the folks there will help you.

amshali

Post by amshali »

I think it's fair to put this limitation in the description of product.
Thanks.

gsmith410

Post by gsmith410 »

I bought a few sound boards and i was curious how you flash the firmware when you get it in house. You provided the .bin file. Does this get thrown on the usb media drive then some how the bootloader takes it in? I saw on the vs1000 page that you can use a uart flashing program? It would be nice to mention this on the product page. Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

We use the VLSI toolchain. I think the software is free to use, but there are proprietary limits on the reference code.

The VS1000 can communicate with VLSI’s ‘vs3emu’ program through the UART, but we don’t offer any support for that. You’ll have to talk with the folks at VLSI for more information.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”