Teensy 3.6 Dead?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Teensy 3.6 Dead?

by soshimo on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I finally got around to soldering a bunch of stuff this weekend with my new solder station :). I bought a Teensy 3.6 a couple of months ago and one of the projects was to solder on the headers. All was fine, no solder bridges and all clean junctions so I'm fairly certain the solder work was fine. I was able to upload a sample sketch that blinks the led in an SOS pattern (so I can distinguish it from the built in blink program). That worked fine last night, but it was late so I wrapped up. This morning I plug in my walwart and powered up the board - nothing. Not led blinking, not indication of any activity. Okay, so maybe something happened to the sketch? It's never happened before, but sometimes things go awry and it's a new board (I have two 3.2s already, so not unfamiliar with the Teensy process). I decided to just upload the sketch again, so I plugin in the usb cable and nothing. No indication from windows that a usb device was plugged in and looking at devices I do not see the com port that gets virtualized for the usb-serial connection. I decide to upload anyway, but, of course, it's completely dead and no response.

I think somehow between last night and this morning I fried my Teensy 3.6. Is there anyway I can verify that it's dead and is there anyway to bring it back short of dropping another $30?

Thanks in advance. Of COURSE this had to happen the day before Halloween and the 3.6 was going to be an integral part of the display. :D I'll just scramble and try to figure out how to do it with the remaining 3.2 Teenys I have. Thanks in advance for any help or pointers you can provide.

soshimo

Re: Teensy 3.6 Dead?

by soshimo on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm

I have an update on the matter. I decided to just push down on the chip and after applying a little bit of pressure it was able to connect to USB. Apparently it's not dead. I'll take a closer look with a magnifying glass to make sure there are no solder bridges, but it might be a poor solder joint on the chip itself if applying pressure woke it back up.

soshimo

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.