GUVA-S12SD sensor not working

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
henker

GUVA-S12SD sensor not working

Post by henker »

Past January I purchased 10 Analog UV sensors model GUVA-S12SD.
The first three I have tried to use are all not working...
The first sensor is installed in an application and wasn't showing any readings. I wanted to test the second one before I installed it in our application so I applied 5V from a lab. powersupply. The output immediately showed 2.4V.. After several seconds this increased to 4.8VDc.
Then I hooked up the 3rd sensor board. This time I added an amp meter in line and this showed 120mA without any input (light) or any output load. Again, the output voltage showed 2.4V...Coincidentally I touched the board and burned my finger on the board and it was too hot to touch. Turns out that the opamp heats up immediately after you apply power.
To ensure it wasn't caused by the actual UV sensor I did de-solder this part from the board but still 120mA and 2.4V on the output.
Looking at a previous post where the same issue is described, I'm a little worried that the opamp's used on these boards are aftermarket and possibly not meeting any spec close to an original MCP6001. I checked the schematic and board as well as the other components; they all seems to measure okay.
As you will require to see my soldering skills, hereby a picture.
20180224_222428_resized.jpg
20180224_222428_resized.jpg (337.94 KiB) Viewed 959 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: GUVA-S12SD sensor not working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The issue you describe is quite different from the one in the other thread. To my knowledge, we have not had any reports of any of these overheating on power-up. I will check with our QA department.

henker

Post by henker »

Thanks for your quick reply.
I can add that I have changed the opamp with an original MCP6001 that I had in stock and not it works ok...

henker

Post by henker »

Any updates adafruit support

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

not yet, we're going to do an investigation ASAP, just got word of this!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

OK we did an analysis and even tho we got the correct chips and theyve got the right marking, something with that batch is wrong! so, yeah definitely not good :)
you can email support@adafruit for a refund. right now we're going through the stock so i recommend a refund and then waiting till we have more in stock, then you'll know those are the good ones!

henker

Post by henker »

Thanks for your quick reply. Indeed I feared the worse and the MCP6001's are the issue on that board....
I'll send an email to support.
Thanks
Henk

derda

Post by derda »

I have the exact same problem, it is showing a constant 4.8v on a 5v supply. My order number was: 1656371-4619143067

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can email support@adafruit for a refund. right now we're going through the stock so i recommend a refund and then waiting till we have more in stock, then you'll know those are the good ones!

derda

Post by derda »

adafruit2 wrote:you can email support@adafruit for a refund. right now we're going through the stock so i recommend a refund and then waiting till we have more in stock, then you'll know those are the good ones!
Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”