Heading sensor

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
duckman01

Re: Heading sensor

Post by duckman01 »

Hi Peter, when l said yaw change l was referring to your jig moving from set heading, so that there is no induced error from the IMU moving on yaw when rolling/pitching.
I went back over some previous posts l had with Kris Winer, he stated l would never get good data from a BNO055 because the Acell and mag are "crappy" his words.
Anyway hoping one day you may get to doing data around the full 360
Kevin

jps2000

Post by jps2000 »

At the moment (with my tripod) it is not easy to accurately snap to 15deg or whatever increments in yaw. Thus adjustment error adds to yaw reading and is in the magnitude of expected deviations.
Would need a kind of gear mounted on the tripod for doing that more precisely. I would need to 3D design and print some means for that purpose. This is significant effort.......

I would not judge the BMF055 (the chip for all BNO´s) as crappy per se. The 055 has some shortcomings we know. Poor performance comes from misunderstanding what a IMU does and shortcomings in installation and board design and hardware. Magnetometer cores are all pretty much the same (Asahi Kasei AK8975 or newer https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0001/ ).

duckman01

Post by duckman01 »

Hi Peter any chance you could just remove your processor/imu and tape it to a piece of wood, that and a compass rose drawn on cardboard/ply/table.
That's all that's required for tilt / deviation data.
As per sensor components, Kris is a bit of a guru, so l bow to his knowledge.
regards Kevin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”