Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Drawdio -- week sound/contact
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Drawdio -- week sound/contact

by ndudman on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi

I've just put together the Drawdio kit, after watching the videos I had to try it for myself.

Anyway I've followed the instructions I think well, remembered to solder the copper tape to PCB tabs etc, but the pencil just dosn't make much or hardly any noise when drawing, and I'm keeping a finger on the start of the line etc. If I hold pencil and touch the lead tip with other hand then I get noise but not so energeticly as I'd thought for a direct connection through my body. Perhaps its just very dry, i've tried writing on a wet surface, more noise but nothing like in the videos....

Drawing on a pieces of paper I can only manage a few centermeters, noise produced is only a very low grow, not variable.

Any help or suggestions ?

My kit has the 20MR resister and not the 10MR... I was wondering if this made a difference ?

Thanks

Neil
ndudman

Re: Drawdio -- week sound/contact

by adafruit on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06 pm

you could try soldering the tape to the drawdio
Place a copper coin (like a penny!) on the drawing and use that to make contact with the graphite - it will make the surface area larger and reduce the resistance of the drawing
Wash and lightly dry your hands to make them a little more wet than usual, this will also affect the pitch

adafruit

by mightymik on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 pm

I have a similar problem. I can make contact with the tack and it squeals. Measuring the tack-to-tip resistance i get ~ 5 ohms. It just won't make any noise when drawing. I tried the penny w/ no luck. BTW the kit shipped w/o the AAA battery. (no biggie)

mightymik

by adafruit on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

MightyMik wrote:I have a similar problem. I can make contact with the tack and it squeals. Measuring the tack-to-tip resistance i get ~ 5 ohms. It just won't make any noise when drawing. I tried the penny w/ no luck.

what if you touch the tip of the pencil with your finger

BTW the kit shipped w/o the AAA battery. (no biggie)

hmm, where did you see that it comes with a battery?

adafruit

by wakeupsilver on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06 am

In my experience working with people in lots of different situations, it is more likely than not that the drawdio should be soldered to the copper tape. I would say this should be the standard procedure. Copper tape just doesn't form a strong electrical connection without special attention. I've always made my drawdio pencils this way, except when experimenting on the fly with new ideas.
wakeupsilver

by westerkamp on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:13 pm

We have the same problem with the weak contact, when we touch the end of the pencil we get sound, but nothing when we write. The penny only helps if we touch it directly to the pencil tip. Any suggestions?
westerkamp

by adafruit on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 am

try to put down a lot more graphite, there needs to be a full conductive line

adafruit

by DJ-Unix on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:38 pm

I am also having a similar problem with my Drawdio. It only works if I lay down a LOT of graphite. And then it only works if my finger is no more than an inch or so away from the tip of the pencil.

It will work for a couple of seconds and slowly fade in sound each time I tap the pencil on the graphite until it stops working altogether. If I then lift the pencil and wait about 10 seconds it starts working again.

I have tried soldering the coper tape on both ends and it did not help. I have also tried several different new batteries.

Does any one have any other suggestions to what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kevin
DJ-Unix

by adafruit on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:01 pm

try washing your hands - do you live in a dry area?

adafruit

by wakeupsilver on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:11 pm

If the sound works at first and then fades out it sounds like some kind of oxidation or other reaction could be happening. Are you using aluminum foil as part of the circuit somewhere? And to agree with Limor some people have really dry hands -- I'm not sure if washing them will help, I guess it depends what's stuck on them though. But I would definitely second the idea of wetting your hands if you think your hands are especially dry. If you want to try to trouble shoot try to get a wire with an alligator clip on each end of it and instead of passing the electricity through your body, pass the electricity through the wire and clip onto a big graphite dot that you've drawn on the page (very dark and at least a centimeter up to an inch in diameter). Play with touching the dot using the tip of the pencil, and if that works then draw a line away from the dot very dark and thick. This takes your body "out of the loop" just in case there's something special about the way your body is.
wakeupsilver

by Kain on Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 am

I experienced similar problems. Splash some water on the paper before you start drawdioding.
Kain

by adafruit on Wed May 12, 2010 3:13 pm

good tip!

adafruit

by Kain on Fri May 14, 2010 5:44 am

Thanks.

My favourite method of playing drawdio is to splash water/draw a "water line" with your finger on table/wall/etc and place drawdio thumbtack end on the water and then play with your finger. Works in any climate. Crazy fun!
Kain

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.