MAX31855 Thermocouple Breakout Board Help

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flybywire2

MAX31855 Thermocouple Breakout Board Help

Post by flybywire2 »

I have the MAX31855 Thermocouple breakout board connected to my Pi3 using SPI. The SPI is communicating the board temperature correctly using the example code, but the thermocouple temperature posts as "NAN". So that the sample code reads about like "Thermocouple Temperature NAN degF", I can't find a direct reference to this in the code, though there are some high bits and low bits for grounded, open, etc. I am using a traditional Bed Bath & Beyond meat thermometer that I cut the end off. I can wiggle, unplug, switch wires, etc with the same results. Any ideas? Do I have the right thermocouple?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: MAX31855 Thermocouple Breakout Board Help

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I am using a traditional Bed Bath & Beyond meat thermometer that I cut the end off.
It's probably not a type K thermocouple. And it may not even be a thermocouple. There are various temperature sensors. Thermocouples are just one of them and they are made by joing two different metals. The two metals used vary with different thermocouple types, like type K.

The breakout you are using will only work with a type K thermocouple. More info:
https://learn.adafruit.com/thermocouple

flybywire2

Post by flybywire2 »

You guys are awesome - thank you!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I am using a traditional Bed Bath & Beyond meat thermometer
From my experience, most oven/grill thermometers use RTDs. They tend to be more precise than thermocouples.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”