7 or 8 tones?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

7 or 8 tones?

by ROMNAKAR on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Hello.

I bought initially one 16MB Adafruit Sound FX board after watching videos on youtube of custom horn sounds.
The initial task was to change the tone of my truck's horn.
When I plugged the Adafruit module for the first time to the usb port, my computer (Windows 7 Home Edition) detected a drive
ADAFRUITSFX E:
The initial content of the drive was a T00.OGG archive.

I buyed another two sound boards, as I had experienced problems that I will post later, and the second board had also a T00.OGG archive.

As in the info says, which too late I read, that the sound boards are not reprogrammable, should it mean that the actual amount of triggered tones available for
the 16MB Adafruit Sound FX board is seven (7) ?

In the case that the whole 8 sounds: T00 to T07 are needed, the previous T00.OGG should be deleted, renamed?

ROMNAKAR

Re: 7 or 8 tones?

by oesterle on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi, Romnakar!

Yes, the board shows up as a drive on your computer. You can copy your own sounds onto it, as dicussed in the Copying Audio Files section of the product tutorial. The files ending in .OGG are audio files, stored in the Ogg Vorbis format.

You can store up to an hour of music on the 16MB version (mono, compressed, 22KHz Ogg Vorbis format). See the How Much Music? section.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

by ROMNAKAR on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Thank you for the reply.

As the updated info says, you can overwrite or delete T00.OGG, so you can have all 8 tones.

But how many times can you overwrite a particular Txx.xxx? or delete and load it?

ROMNAKAR

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

But how many times can you overwrite a particular Txx.xxx? or delete and load it?

The flash chip used is rated for at least 100,000 program/erase cycles. This is pretty typical for flash memory.

adafruit_support_bill

by ROMNAKAR on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello.

Now, knowing that the Adafruit sound FX module has a flash memory, which has a reprogrammability of 100 000 cycles, watching very closely all related videos on youtube, reading more thoroughly the tutorials, and once i've programmed the third module SUCCESSFULLY, my final thoughts about what happened to me with the other two sound boards are:

-The first and second sound FX modules had no problem when I programmed five 44kHz-16-bit .wav files into it.
-I've used a 12V LM338K-based linear power supply to power: A LM7805 regulator to energize the sound board and AT THE SAME TIME, the audio amplifier.
-The sound FX board, the 7805 and the amplifier (based on two TDA2030) were integrated into the case of the siren speaker.
-I've used a 1,5m [5 ft] cable to connect to a 6-position switch to select the tone.
-I've used one momentary switch to interrupt or connect the 12V supply.
-The first sound FX module failed when I've tried to reprogram the tones. Something that shouldn't happen, but occurred.
-The second sound FX module failed when I've energized with the car's battery.
-Both modules stopped to be detected when disconnected from the Amplifier's pcb and connected to the USB port of the computer.

Due to all of the above, the failure of both modules could be caused by the integration of components into the speaker and the electrical connections.

So, I've followed the next countermeasures:
1. I've programmed the third and last sound FX module with six 22kHz, 16-bit .WAV stereo archives to avoid problems related to the sampling of sounds.
(Although there could be no problem using full 44kHz, 16 bit sound quality).
2. I've changed the electrical connections (see drawing).
schem.jpg
schem.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 54 times

3. The speaker goes apart from the amplifier.
4. LET IT PLAY: Once the tone is triggered in the sound board, let it play completely. The output sound is interrupted releasing S1.
To this day, the system works OK, except for the sound level... But that can be solved with another amplifier.

Hope this helps.
Thank you all.

ROMNAKAR

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:26 pm

-I've used a 12V LM338K-based linear power supply to power: A LM7805 regulator to energize the sound board and AT THE SAME TIME, the audio amplifier.

Depending on the amplifier and speaker load, that configuration is likely to overload the LM7805 regulator. Re-wiring it as you have done will allow the LM7805 to run a lot cooler.

adafruit_support_bill

by ROMNAKAR on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Thank you for the observation.

What I meant was that the 12V power supply energizes the amplifier (with 12V) and the input of the 7805 regulator at the same time.
The 7805 regulator has always powered only the Adafruit sound FX module.

What happened in the previous configuration was:
When the tone is played, if I suddenly remove the 12V power supply, the 5V for the Adafruit module drops almost immediately, so the sound is interrupted by an absence of power.

Also when the tone is played, if I suddenly remove the 12V power supply, the amplifier goes out of power and the speaker shuts up.
Being the speaker an inductive load, it could return a spark to the amplifier (which has an external diode bridge for protection) or possibly (???) the Adafruit module.

Thank you.

ROMNAKAR

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Are you using any kind of filter or regulator for the 12v from your automotive electrical system? These systems tend to be quite noisy electrically, and the voltage is often actually 14v or more when the battery is charging. You can find filters and power conditioning modules at shops specializing in automotive sound systems.

adafruit_support_bill

by ROMNAKAR on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Hello.

There is a (2200uF - 0,1 uF parallel) filter for the 12V input built into the pcb of the amplifier.
There is a (100uF - 0,1uF parallel) filter near the 5V for the adafruit, also into the pcb. (see figure)

The 7805 regulator was tested with input voltages between 11,1V and 14,5V maintaining an output voltage between 4,98V and 4,99V.
The power supply used for that test is a classic linear power supply design using a LM338K adjustable regulator.

About the noise of the power source:
The first two failures of modules occurred connecting directly the car battery voltage to the integrated system (speaker-amplifier-adafruit module).
At that moments, the engine was off and the radio was off, even the ignition key was out of the barrel.
Maybe there could be some remaining CANBUS activity (The car is a VW), I don't know.
I hadn't tested the battery voltage at that time, but recently tested gives 12,5V.

In the picture, I show the initial circuit and some of the modifications made to the circuit.
With the modification, the 7805 has a filter of 0,1uF in parallel with its 12V input, and the amplifier keeps its 2200uF filter.

And, so far, with the modifications, it operates well, even with the engine turned on (14,5V battery).

Thank you.
Schems.jpg
Schems.jpg (284.83 KiB) Viewed 23 times

ROMNAKAR

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.