Hallowing On/Off Help!

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
makerdan

Hallowing On/Off Help!

Post by makerdan »

Hi, so I have my Hallowing set up running Arduino code for the Spooky Eye and powering a short strip of Neopixels (via the built-in connector) at the same time. A LiPo battery is connected via the dedicated JST-PH connector. I also have a momentary on/off switch connected to the female header at the 3.3V & GND pins. Leaving the Hallowing built-in power switch ON, when I click my momentary switch the TFT display turns off—Yay! But the NeoPixel strip remains on—Boo! How do I get the LED strip to go off at the same time as the display?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Hallowing On/Off Help!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I also have a momentary on/off switch connected to the female header at the 3.3V & GND pins
Are you shorting 3.v directly to GND? That is not a good idea. Please post photos showing your wiring.
How do I get the LED strip to go off at the same time as the display?
Power to both display and the Neopoxel port is controlled by the on/off switch.

makerdan

Post by makerdan »

In the end I moved the momentary switch to connect directly to the battery itself, which solved my issue. But I would like to know your thoughts as to why having the switch attached to the power pins on the female header is not a good idea. Is the NeoPixel port not connected to the power pins on the female header at all? For learning purposes! ;)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

But I would like to know your thoughts as to why having the switch attached to the power pins on the female header is not a good idea.
If you are shorting 3.3v to GND as described, then the only reason the display is shutting down is because you are overloading the voltage regulator.
Is the NeoPixel port not connected to the power pins on the female header at all?
The Neopixel power pin is connected to "V+" which is also the input to the 3.3v voltage regulator. The 3.3v pin on the header is connected to "+3v3" which is the output of that regulator.
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1538934994

makerdan

Post by makerdan »

Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”