Perma Proto Board -- scale error?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Tazling

Perma Proto Board -- scale error?

Post by Tazling »

The Perma Proto Board (full and half size) is advertised as "just like" a standard breadboard.

I have always assumed it was.

But today, I tried for the first time to install one of those dual-voltage power supplies (like the ones from YwRobot, etc) designed to plug into both rails of a breadboard. These P/S can power each rail with either 3v3 or 5v, selectable with jumpers. They have an on-off switch and a power-on LED and are quite handy.

Imagine my dismay when I realised that the Perma Proto Board (half size) was scaled smaller than a real breadboard. The scale error is not felt at the level of individual breakouts with 4 to 8 pins oriented longways. But over the nearly 2 inch span of the board, rail to rail, side to side, it is perceptible -- the standard P/S which plugs into every breadboard in my stash, will not plug into the Perma Proto Board. The error is significant, almost 2 holes' worth.

I am shocked-I-tell-you-shocked! Is Adafruit aware of this not-so-subtle scale difference? Was this a production error? I'm kinda stuck now because I wanted to use this P/S in my permanent project box, and it looks like I'll have to leave an ugly old breadboard in there because that's the only thing I can plug my P/S into.

Dear Ada, if/when you do a fresh manufacturing run of these very handy dandy little boards, could you please make them with exactly the same hole centres as a real breadboard? I love the perma proto board, it's the highest build quality of any proto PCB I have yet discovered, but this scale error was a nasty surprise...

Franklin97355

Re: Perma Proto Board -- scale error?

Post by Franklin97355 »

There is no "standard" breadboard layout. You need to check if what you want to use works with the layout you have. I have a power supply something like yours and two breadboards, one that fits and one that does not.

Tazling

Post by Tazling »

franklin97355 wrote:There is no "standard" breadboard layout. You need to check if what you want to use works with the layout you have. I have a power supply something like yours and two breadboards, one that fits and one that does not.
wow, this is news to me... since every bboard I have ever purchased (from Ebay or other sources) has had exactly the same hole spacing, I assumed that was the industry standard. also every bb p/s I have bought (from Ebay or other sources) has matched this bboard hole spacing, so that reinforced this assumption on my part.

Are there two standards, like "European vs US" or "China vs Other"? Do you have a part number for a bb p/s that would fit the adafruit perma proto? I'd still like to use the perma proto board in my project! It would be worth buying some different p/s if I can find some that fit. 'Cos I love those boards.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we've seen half/full breadboards do have different spacings. since there's no standard there, we decided to stick the power rails on a 0.1" spacing which is easier, we think, than what you get now. you can pull two wires to the railings for your power supply

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”