External active GPS antenna
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

External active GPS antenna

by EvenX82 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 am

This is probably a dumb question, but is this antenna waterproof? I’m building a home weather station w/ GPS and need to know if it’s waterproof or not so I can figure out where I want to place the antenna.

Thanks

EvenX82

Re: External active GPS antenna

by Ibeety on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm also planning to buy this, but would like to know also if this is waterproof as OP ask, I can't find anything on internet / review that says it's waterproof, I checked the design and it seems pretty well can stand in rainy weather right? Thanks

Ibeety

Re: External active GPS antenna

by dlleigh on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm

The term "waterproof" means different things to different people. There are various standards that have been defined to meet different levels of waterproof-ness.

This antenna has a magnetic mount and is designed to be placed on top of a car. I'm not familiar with this particular unit, but similar antennas I've played with in the past are all relatively rain resistant.

If you're really worried, place it inside a plastic bag or under a yogurt cup to keep direct rainfall off. Remember to use a drip loop in the cord to prevent water from traveling down it into the SMA connector of your GPS receiver.

dlleigh

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.