Pro Trinket LiPo Battery Backpack for Other Projects?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pro Trinket LiPo Battery Backpack for Other Projects?

by millionpigletusa on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 pm

So normally if I was looking to power a project using a LiPo battery I would go straight to a dedicated charging board with protection circuits but I had a spare Pro Trinket Battery Backpack left over from a previous project. I was wondering if I could reuse it, linking the outputs to a 5V boost converter. Also I was wondering what kind of protection circuits it has, in terms of overvoltage, undervoltage, overcurrent, undercurrent, and short-circuit protection. Basically, is it safe to use this board in another project?

millionpigletusa

Re: Pro Trinket LiPo Battery Backpack for Other Projects?

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 pm

Yes, it is possible to use in other projects. The charge controller chip on the backpack protects against overcurrent and overvoltage during the charge part of the cycle. All of the LiPo cells in our store have built-in circuits to protect against overcurrent and under-voltage during the discharge part of the cycle.

adafruit_support_bill

by millionpigletusa on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Awesome! The LiPo I'm planning to use does have protection circuits, so hopefully I should be good. So since the LiPo backpack has no micro-usb charging port, I can just connect a micro-usb cable to the 5V port and the boost converter to the BAT port and I should be fine, right? Thank you!

millionpigletusa

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm

I can just connect a micro-usb cable to the 5V port and the boost converter to the BAT port and I should be fine, right?

Yes. That should work.

adafruit_support_bill

by millionpigletusa on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Alright, thank you very much!

millionpigletusa

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.