Audio FX Mini Soundboard 3 Way Switch
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Audio FX Mini Soundboard 3 Way Switch

by ronagoldberg on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Hello,
I just assembled the Audio FX Mini Soundboard following the Fix It Felix demo and it works great!
Thank you for making the demo and providing all the components.
I have enough knowledge to be dangerous and I had a thought on how I might want to modify the existing design but I don't know how. Can I add a 3 way switch to the Audio FX Mini Soundboard that would allow me to decide which sound effect I want to play instead of it playing each time the button is pressed. I realize this would limit the number of sounds that could be played but I only have three so it works for me.

Thanks,
Ron

ronagoldberg

Re: Audio FX Mini Soundboard 3 Way Switch

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 am

Yep. Totally doable. Sounds like you want to do something like was done for the Happy Chewbacca Mask:
https://learn.adafruit.com/happy-chewba ... it-diagram

Pretty simple idea - there's a single button that makes the sound happen, just like the Fit-It Felix Hammer. The rotary switch is used to route the button to different trigger pins.

adafruit_support_carter

by ronagoldberg on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks for getting back me. That's what I'm looking for. I'll see if I can figure out how to adapt it to the 3 position switch I'd like to use but I may have more questions.

ronagoldberg

by ronagoldberg on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:50 pm

I have thought of an additional question about the power this setup can handle. The project I'm using it for uses a 9v battery to power 3 LED bulbs. If I integrate the LEDs into the sound board wiring will the 9v or a 12v be a problem instead of using the 3.7v li-ion that I bought with the sound board?

ronagoldberg

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:02 pm

The board can only accept up to 5.5V for power:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... r-pins-3-5
so you can't exceed that.

adafruit_support_carter

by ronagoldberg on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Ok, thanks.

ronagoldberg

by ronagoldberg on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:44 pm

Hello,
I have been trying to get the 3 position switch to work like the Chewbacca mask demo but I haven't had much luck. I soldered three wires to 0, 1, and 2 to the switch in what I think is the corresponding pins and I use alligator clips to connect the temporary switch between the 3 position switch to the FX soundboard matching the diagram from the Chewbacca demo. If I move the alligator clips to one of the other pins that are soldered to wires and then push the temporary switch I can get the sounds but it will play all three sounds instead of just the sound labeled for the specific pin.

I'll add a link to the photos in case my description doesn't help.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UKS4n8FzyGRHuxCW7

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Yep. Totally doable. Sounds like you want to do something like was done for the Happy Chewbacca Mask:
https://learn.adafruit.com/happy-chewba ... it-diagram

Pretty simple idea - there's a single button that makes the sound happen, just like the Fit-It Felix Hammer. The rotary switch is used to route the button to different trigger pins.

ronagoldberg

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 pm

The "temporary switch" is inline between the black alligator clip and the black wire soldered to GND on the FX board?

Have you tested the pinouts on that 3 way switch to make sure they are doing what you expect?

adafruit_support_carter

by ronagoldberg on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 am

Hello,
Yes the temporary switch is between the alligator clip and the ground on the FX board. When I trigger the temporary switch in this configuration nothing happens, if I move the alligator clip to one of the numbered lines I can get the sound to trigger but it will just play all the sounds in a row.

Do you think it matters which side of the 3 position switch I have the wires soldered too?

Ron

ronagoldberg

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:13 am

In general, the pins used matter. But you would need to reference the datasheet for the switch to make sure you are using the correct ones. Do you have a datasheet or know the pinouts for the switch?

adafruit_support_carter

by ronagoldberg on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:46 am

No I bought it off of Amazon. I'll have to do some research and see if I can find one similar to it.

ronagoldberg

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:23 pm

You can use a multimeter also. But it sounds like maybe this switch isn't actually doing what you think.

adafruit_support_carter

by ronagoldberg on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Here's some info from amazon on the switch:
Product name: slide switch; model No. : sk23d05; position: 3; pins design: 8 pins (2p3t)
Contact Type: 2p3t; pin width: 0. 5mm/ 1/50"; pins Pitch: 1. 5mm/0. 06" & 3. 5mm/0. 14"; Rating: DC 50V, 0. 5A
Contacts resistance: 30M Ohm; insulation resistance: 100M Ohm; minimum load: DC 500V; dielectric strengths: AC 500V / 1 minute

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to electronics, I appreciate your time in helping me. What would I be looking for with the multi-meter?

It looks like this is the same product and has more details.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32700083244.html

ronagoldberg

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:49 pm

This is the switch action diagram:
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 109 times

Which goes with the label 2P3T = 2 pole 3 throw. 2 pole essentially means there are 2 sets of pins. 3 throw means the action is 3 ways. The arrows are showing you the connections made for the 3 throws. You can see how one of them always has an arrow pointed to it. The other ones depend on switch location. So it should work, you just need to figure out the pin outs. Unfortunately, that diagram does label what pin is what, so is a little confusing. That's were using a multimeter to check continuity on the pins would help.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.