🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

help with sim reader/software/cable
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

help with sim reader/software/cable

by leftfield on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 am

Hi I finished up my project yesterday. I had one major goof, C2 into C4, but I was able to wick it back out without much damage except what appears to be superficial scratches from hemostats I gripped and pulled with. I get a green light so I assume everything is OK there. Please feel free to offer up any help.

I connect it with this cable:
Then run software, connect and pick COM1 then:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pySimReader.py", line 267, in buttonConnectReader
  File "pySIMserial.pyc", line 111, in connectReader
  File "pySIMserial.pyc", line 160, in openSession
TypeError: ord() expected a character, but string of length 0 found

Did I bork that C2 too bad? I tried to get a decent pic but having no luck with macro, sorry.
Is this cable even a real serial cable (yes I am that cheap!), here's some info on it http://www.apcc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=1886-3 and http://www.hardwarebook.info/APC_UPS_smart_cable

I see COM1 installed fine through XP devices. I have tried it through serial on laptop (DellC610) and laptop dock with no luck.

leftfield

Re: help with sim reader/software/cable

by adafruit on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:27 pm

it means it couldnt find a SIM card

adafruit

by leftfield on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks for the reply, I need a little more help :)

I have a Nextel sim card in it when I run that. I tried another from an AT&T phone and got the same results. Both cards work fine when put into phones.

I have tested for continuity between contacts in card holder and it's pads, everything OK there.
I have tried a small amount of pressure to see if I am not getting good contact between card holder/card, still no luck.

While I got you looking....
Does the USB FTDI TTL-232 cable do data and power to that header on this project? So I could do this without a 9v battery?

leftfield

by adafruit on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:39 pm

you could post a photo, in case something is amiss. you could also try 'plugging it directly' into the back just in case its a null modem cable or something else that is mucking it up

adafruit

by leftfield on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:56 pm

alright, plugging it in directly did the trick. I completely overlooked that as an option, thank you :)

Does the USB FTDI TTL-232 cable do data and power to that header on this project? So I could do this without a 9v battery?

leftfield

by adafruit on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 am

yes

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.