Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Bedazzler
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bedazzler

by ptlindstrom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:49 am

I'm new here around the Adafruit site and want first to tell you how incredible a resource it is! Thank you!!!

I just came upon your Bedazzler project, I'm not looking to make a weapon I really only want to make an affordable LED Parcan for theatre use. I'm wondering how bright the Bedazzler gets. I work in a live music club thats about 30' from the 2nd electric position and was thinking these might bright enough and light enough for me to build a 2 axis mover via my newly arrived Adafruit motor drive and the arduino DMX receiver project I've seen. Any thoughts our help would be appreciated

Thanks
Pete

ptlindstrom

Re: Bedazzler

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 pm

These days you can get 3 watt LEDs that generate around 100 lumens/watt. With an appropriate power supply and drive circuitry, in theory you could get close to 10,000 lumens out of a 36 LED array.

But the Bedazzler is not driving the LEDs to the max at 100% duty cycle. To achieve that level of output safely, you probably want to drive them with a good constant-current driver and provide more heat-sinking.

The folks on the LED forum over at Candlepower Forums can probably offer more specific advice. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.