🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

BB power supply terminal block
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BB power supply terminal block

by pstemari on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Nice little kit, but one gotcha: the silk-screened +/- next to the terminal block is backwards. The outboard terminal is negative, not positive. That confused the hell out of me when I tried powering it from a bench supply to measure the current consumption.

One nice thing to add would be a PTC resettable fuse on the output.
pstemari

Re: BB power supply terminal block

by adafruit on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:19 pm

hmm, the layout file says its correct. are you using a center positive DC supply?

adafruit

by Kreychek on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 pm

I find the terminals are reversed as well.

I use an Enercell walwart (user manual) and the LEDs on the PS only light up (and so the PS only "works") when, according to the graphic, my plug is set like so:

- ----(O---- +

which is center positive, right?
Kreychek

by pstemari on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm not talking about the outputs, but the screw terminal block for the alternate input. There's a small +/- next to the terminal block circled in the attached image. Vin and GND are what actually works with the terminal block.
--Paul

A wholly owned subsidiary of:
Persephone: DL R+W+B C 7 X L W C++ I++ T+ A E H++ S+ V-- F+ Q P B PA+ PL
Aldebaran: DM Rt H 5 Y L- W+ C+ I++ T++ A+++ E H++ S+ V+ F++ Q+ P B++ PA- PL--
pstemari

by adafruit on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 am

Kreychek wrote:I find the terminals are reversed as well.

I use an Enercell walwart (user manual) and the LEDs on the PS only light up (and so the PS only "works") when, according to the graphic, my plug is set like so:

- ----(O---- +

which is center positive, right?

that is correct, it -should- be center positive, thats 'standard'

adafruit

by adafruit on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 am

pstemari wrote:I'm not talking about the outputs, but the screw terminal block for the alternate input. There's a small +/- next to the terminal block circled in the attached image. Vin and GND are what actually works with the terminal block.

we suspect something else is amiss with your setup. did you check with a multimeter? what is 'vin' for you? a battery pack?

adafruit

by chankster on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Looks like its reversed in the EAGLE file as well. Note: I removed the USB footprint for simplicity.

gnd

vcc
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?

chankster

by pstemari on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:44 am

Just to be clear, the bb power supply works fine. Powering it from a center+ 9v wall wart is fine, and powering it from my clunky old bench power supply to the screw terminals works, as long as I run the positive lead from the bench supply to the inboard screw terminal.

I double-checked everything with a meter. With the wall wart plugged in and the switch set to 5v, I read the Vin rail coming out of the supply near the 2.1 mm jack at +8.65v, Vout at +5.01v, and the inside screw terminal at +8.95v, which makes sense, since it's before the protection diode.

That said, I think I figured this out. Those two unused holes next to the screw terminal block? Those voltages match the silkscreen--inboard is at ground and the outboard positive. I pulled out the board and looked at the traces, and the inboard screw terminal is connected to the outboard hole.
--Paul

A wholly owned subsidiary of:
Persephone: DL R+W+B C 7 X L W C++ I++ T+ A E H++ S+ V-- F+ Q P B PA+ PL
Aldebaran: DM Rt H 5 Y L- W+ C+ I++ T++ A+++ E H++ S+ V+ F++ Q+ P B++ PA- PL--
pstemari

by adafruit on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

hmm. OK. we're confused but we think what happened is that we updated our files here but didnt necessarily send those out

sorry :( we will fix this in the next PCB purchase. Thanks for alerting us!!!

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.