Audio FX sound board not recognized by iMac
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Audio FX sound board not recognized by iMac

by Daum39 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:16 am

Auidio FX 16MB Connected to iMac via USB and LED lights up but not recognized by Mac on Finder. An error msg came up suggesting I provide Admin credentials and to click something. But there was nothing to click. I turned on file sharing and didn’t seem to make a difference. Expecting to drag and drop the 2.6 MB WAV sample on the board. Any guidance is appreciated.

Daum39

Re: Audio FX sound board not recognized by iMac

by Daum39 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:42 am

I figured out that the error msg was from me mistaking a backup drive showing up as a Remote Disc in the Finder. The soundboard isn’t shown for me to access. Also swapped USB cable to test it.

Daum39

by Daum39 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:53 am

Please disregard this entire posting. I tried a third USB cable, and it worked. Stupid human trick. Thanks for being there.

Daum39

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Sounds like you got caught by a couple of charge-only cables.. we see people have trouble with them every day.

We suggest cutting charge-only cables in half as soon as you find them. Even the existing 5V and GND wires tend to be the smallest size that will work for whatever device came with the cable.

Glad to hear you got things working though. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

by Daum39 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:45 pm

You busted me. It was two charging cables. I didn't want to admit it. Thanks.

Daum39

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:23 am

Nah, the only people who should be embarrassed about that are the USB working group..

PHB1 -- "Hey, let's spend decades teaching people that USB cables always work the same way and are physically impossible to connect the wrong way."

PHBs 2-11 -- "Okay."

PHB1 -- "Then let's create a new kind of cable that's completely non-functional but looks exactly the same as all the others!"

PHBs 2-11 -- "Genius!"

IMO, it's just proof that there are no longer any engineers in the working group. Engineers know and respect (or at least fear) Murphy's Law.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.