๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

FTDI Friend troubleshooting
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FTDI Friend troubleshooting

by blubkeman on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:08 pm

I recently purchased the Adafruit FTDI Friend + extras (https://www.adafruit.com/product/284). I plugged it into the USB port on my Linux laptop. Following the directions in the tutorial, it says it comes with the driver already loaded for Linux and to issue the command: ls /dev/ttyUSB*. When I do that, there are no files found. There is also a red LED on the FTDI Friend that is blinking with the pattern 2 slow, 3 fast, 2 slow. Are there any instructions on what to do when things don't go exactly as the tutorial describes?

blubkeman

Re: FTDI Friend troubleshooting

by franklin97355 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 am

Make sure the cable you are using is a data cable and not just a charging cable. Post a picture of any soldering you have done on the board.

franklin97355

by blubkeman on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:37 pm

I have done no soldering. It was received fully assembled, and I have not altered the default jumper settings. I have tried another cable which I have successfully used to send data to a 3D printer and to a SparkFun Redboard. When this cable is connected to the FTDI Friend, I get the same result. The LED blinks with the same pattern, and it is not recognized by the computer. What does the blinking pattern mean? I've read nothing that describes this.

blubkeman

by blubkeman on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:07 pm

I started digging a little deeper. I thought I'd check on my Linux computer's FTDI driver. I went to the installation guides page (https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Docume ... Guides.htm) and followed the link for Linux Driver Installation Guide. The overview section gives instructions for verifying the driver. I plugged in my FTDI Friend into my computer's USB port. I typed the command:

sudo dmesg | grep FTDI

This is what was displayed.

[170990.637345] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: FTDI
[170990.642997] ftdi_sio 1-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[170990.649628] usb 1-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[170994.355674] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0

So it looks like it is being recognized, but then it is almost immediately disconnected.

blubkeman

by blubkeman on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:41 pm

I am documenting my resolution here for anyone else who might encounter the same challenges I did.

I came across this document:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalNotes/TN_101_Customising_FTDI_VID_PID_In_Linux(FT_000081).pdf

The very last couple of lines state, "It is not possible to access the Virtual COM port in Ubuntu until the โ€œbrlttyโ€ port is removed. This is done as follows: "
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sudo apt-get remove brltty
Once I removed brltty and reconnected the FTDI Friend to my USB port, I was able to see /dev/ttyUSB0 when issuing the command:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sudo ls /dev/ttyUSB*
I am now able to select it as a port in the Arduino IDE (my ultimate goal).

blubkeman

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.