🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

FTDI 3v3 Shipped instead of 5v
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FTDI 3v3 Shipped instead of 5v

by l3orna on Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 am

adafruit,
>
> I received order #54588 today and just started using the FTDI USB to Serial
> cable.
> I noticed that the output voltages are ~3.3 volts instead of 5v. I believe
> the 3.3 volt cable was shipped to me instead of the 5V cable.
>
> Please send me a USB FTDI TTL-232 cable (5V) via overnight mail with
> Saturday delivery as my work is held up.
>

>
> Thank you for your support,
> Regards,
> Borna
Attachments
3.3v.GIF
3.3v.GIF (81.12 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

l3orna

Re: FTDI 3v3 Shipped instead of 5v

by adafruit on Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 am

hi there, unfortunately all we have are these cables - and our next shipment isnt due for a few weeks. But it could be that we can get your project working with this one.
First off, are you sure you need 5V on the datalines? For nearly all cases, a 3.3v logic cable is fine for communicating with 5V devices. The cable is '5V compliant' which means you can send 5V data to the RX line and it will be fine.

If you are trying to connect to an XBee adapter, either type of cable works perfectly fine (we designed it that way!)

So please let us know, what are you trying to connect to?

adafruit

by l3orna on Sat May 08, 2010 9:10 am

I am using the cable for the xbee adapters, Arduino programming, and for a few other pic projects.

I was able to most everything to work with the 3.3 volt cable. But if I wanted a 3v3 version, I would have ordered a 3v3 version. I like you to replace the cable for me.
If you are saying that the 3 volt version is the only one that you have and you are selling them as 5V cables, that is just wrong and probably illegal.

Also, I was assembling my xbee adapter today and one of the kits is missing the 3 terminal voltage regulator. At this point that adapter is useless. Please let me know how to solve that issue.

-Borna

l3orna

by adafruit on Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 am

l3orna wrote:I am using the cable for the xbee adapters, Arduino programming, and for a few other pic projects. I was able to most everything to work with the 3.3 volt cable. But if I wanted a 3v3 version, I would have ordered a 3v3 version. I like you to replace the cable for me. If you are saying that the 3 volt version is the only one that you have and you are selling them as 5V cables, that is just wrong and probably illegal. Also, I was assembling my xbee adapter today and one of the kits is missing the 3 terminal voltage regulator. At this point that adapter is useless. Please let me know how to solve that issue.-Borna

hi borna,

the cables we purchased (resell) are 5v, not 3.3v - it's possible the factory made some type of error, you're welcome to send to cable back to us for testing, at this point we cannot do anything more without inspecting the cable - so far you're the only customer who has reported any issues and we cannot duplicate your issue here. if you want to send back the cable, let us know - we can send a postage paid envelope. we've sent out a replacement 3 terminal voltage regulator. we have also refunded your purchase completely, we believe this resolves the matter fully.

-adafruit

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.