HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
avdp

HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch

Post by avdp »

HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch PID: 2406
order id 2269493-3552430387 from 3/3/2020

The screen appears to be DOA.   I have tried 2 different computers (windows 10 and Ubuntu) and multiple HDMI cables,  I cannot get a picture to show or either OSes to even recognize a monitor was plugged in.   The “PWR-GOOD” LED in the back is lighted,  the “VIDEO-GOOD” LED does not light up.

If you have additional troubleshooting steps you would suggest,  let me know,  otherwise I would like to return this item.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: HDMI 7" 800x480 Display Backpack - Without Touch

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

There could be a chance that Win/Ubuntu were not outputting a HDMI signal usable by the display. Do you have any other HDMI sources, like a Raspberry Pi?

avdp

Post by avdp »

I am not sure what you're suggesting. If you're suggesting the HDMI port on both computers I've been using are broken, I can assure you that's not the case. They work fine. If you're suggesting Windows is somehow not recognizing the screen, well, I suppose that's possible, however I was relying on your documentation that states:
Both 5" and 7" displays have 800x480 pixels, and when used on Windows, at least, will autodetect and set the resolution.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-5-8 ... -pi-config

I will try with a raspberry pi as well and will report back.

adafruit_support_carter

Not that they aren't working, just that they are not outputting correctly. For whatever reason.
I will try with a raspberry pi as well and will report back.
Awesome. Yes, please try that. The ability to manually set the HDMI configuration (per that guide you linked) make the Pi more of a known and therefore a better sanity check.

avdp

Post by avdp »

I tried with a raspberrypi, and the backlight does turn on, and the "VIDEO-GOOD" LED turns on as well. It doesn't show an image, but that's probably configurations on that particular image and I don't want to mess with it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a fresh SD card to try with a fresh install of raspbian, but I assume it's going to work.

So that's good news that the hardware is probably not DOA.

Now why won't it work with ubuntu? I actually don't care about windows, I was only trying that because your doc mentioned it should work.

avdp

Post by avdp »

OK, I was able to test with a fresh raspbian image with the required config.txt changes. The screen works fine.

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks for testing with the Pi. So at least we know the hardware is OK.

So it must be something software related for the Win/Ubuntu machines. That display is somewhat simple and mainly intended for RPi based project, where you can set the HDMI config manually as you did. Not sure what the equivalent process will be for the Win/Ubuntu setups. But hopefully there is some video setting option somewhere that you can try - the equivalent to the RPi config.txt setup.

RSN1

Post by RSN1 »

I have the same issue with Windows 10.
I've bought 7x Adafruit 2232 displays and all 7 have the same issue, no screen when connected. I've tried several suggestions from the forum but nothing works!
I have no option of using Pi or any other, only Windows 10.

When connected PWR-GOOD is on but VIDEO-GOOD not!

I have 5 older Adafruit 5 Inch displays (with Touch) and all works good. First connecting the new display does not work, connecting the older display, same cabling, works good.

The display is a 5" 800x480 and Windows automatically change the resolution when connecting the old display. The new display nothing happens only the PWR-GOOD led is on.

When connecting to a laptop, same issue.

Is there a special driver needed (strange because the old display does not need one)?

Please advise how this can be solved.

adafruit_support_carter

@RSN1 Please start a new thread for your issue.

RSN1

Post by RSN1 »

New post added, no comment sofar!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”