Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Powerswitch + Latching relay
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Powerswitch + Latching relay

by deventer on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Any chance you could help me find a latching relay that would fit into the footprint for the new powerswitch product? I'll take pictures of replacing it!

thanks
deventer

Re: Powerswitch + Latching relay

by len17 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:49 pm

The adafruit product page has a link to the relay's datasheet, and the same manufacturer has a latching relay with the same pinout:
Omron G6BU-1114P-US-DC5
datasheet: http://www.components.omron.com/compone ... B_0609.pdf
However that one doesn't seem to be in stock at the usual places online. :(

len17

by adafruit on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:43 pm

edit: deleted!

adafruit

by adafruit on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 pm

edit: deleted!

adafruit

by oPossum on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm

It is not the same physical size as the Omron relay in there, so it is not a 'drop in' replacement.

Omron Panasonic

Form A is all that is really needed, the extra contact on Form C is not used and there probably isn't a hole is the PCB for the additional terminal.

Form A = Normally Open (SPST)
Form B = Normally Closed (NC SPST)
Form C = Normally Open and Normally Closed (SPDT)

Industrial Form C relays will often have separate contacts for NO and NC (four terminals + coil).

"1 Form C" simply means SPDT, "2 Form C" would be DPDT, etc.. Has nothing to do with the size of the relay.
I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

by adafruit on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:35 pm

oooh thanks for clarifying, i thought the size/pinout was what was meant by the 'form'
confusing! :(
theres a bit of space in the box. i bet it could be a tad larger and fit
will keep looking.

adafruit

by deventer on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks for all the great information!

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a latching relay that roughly matches the 7.62 x 17.78mm foot print of the current relay. So '1 form A' would be ideal, but could I drill holes for the C version? Or would there likely be some metal under the pcb?

Thanks again
deventer

by adafruit on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:03 pm

you want to make sure the pinouts are the same. so far they do seem to vary a little in size.
you could try asking mouser to carry it in stock
http://my.mouser.com/search/ProductDeta ... k4hFkzzg==
or of course with a bit of effort you may be able to get a sample from omron but thats might be a challenge

adafruit

by deventer on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks for helping with the search, now to find someone who'll sell it!

while I'm at it... It would make a nice addition to your store :)
deventer

by oPossum on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 pm

The whole "Form X" thing is rarely used outside of industrial controls, and certainly is confusing. "Form" implies "form factor" - the physical shape, but that is not what it means when used to describe industrial relay contacts.

A typical traditional industrial relay has a base with the coil and uses modular contact blocks that stack on top of the coil base. If you want a relay with 12 normally open contacts and 8 normally closed contacts, then you just stack whatever contact blocks are needed to make that configuration. Industrial machines used to be controlled by hardwired computers made entirely of relays! Making all those AND, OR, NAND, and NOR gates required many relay contacts. Industrial switches may also be modular. The basic switch body has no electrical contacts - they stack on the body in the needed configuration.
I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.