Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

GOL 1.3 debugging
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

GOL 1.3 debugging

by badufamily on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi folks,
As a summer project we soldered up 2 v1.3 GOLs picked up at the Menlo Park TechShop last winter.
( we is me and my 11 year old. He's helped with soldering a few crossover projects and enjoys the process )

when we finally inserted the batteries and fired up both boards we were met with an astounding amount of non-blinking lights.

Visual inspection of the solder joints doesn't reveal any glaring errors - gaps, cold solders, etc. I am a bit suspicious of the C3 capacitor insulation being a bit long and perhaps insulating, but that seems unlikely.

we thought the batteries may be shot so we whipped out the voltmeter. we got voltage on teh board at the connectors, but then I wast sure how to follow up.

in the spirit of summer projects I thought I would ask over here - using the un-used solder points such as C2, or the points around the switches, what should we see for voltages? atC2 of course we see the battery voltage..

what should the voltage be after the capacitor at C3?

these kits were christmas presents, so they've been traveling around the house a great deal. how fragile are they?
badufamily

Re: GOL 1.3 debugging

by adafruit on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:58 pm

not too fragile, can you post a photo of one of the kits? could be something simple :)

adafruit

by badufamily on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Hey thanks AdaFruit -

here is a link to the Flickr set we took today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/badubadu/s ... 668525066/

we placed them @ flickr so you could zoom in. Those were taken with a little canon sureshot, my
larger camera is engaged doing time-lapse photography.
badufamily

by adafruit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:24 pm

hmm, and no LEDs ever no matter what? very suspicious :) please email support@adafruit and ask for a shipment of new GoL chips that are tested to work!

adafruit

by badufamily on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:41 am

OK will do adafruit of mysterious and wonderous responsiveness.

in the mean time we are, here in the endless doldrums of summer, happy to try and debug this. for example since you ask whether or not _any_ LEDs illuminated should we try to bypass the switch? or apply the batterypack leads to individual sets of resistors and LEDs somehow?

were there any glaring points we should re-solder?
badufamily

by adafruit on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:59 pm

everything looks good. we really do suspect the IC
either that or ALL the LEDs are in backwards :)

adafruit

by pstemari on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:17 am

That would be quite the trick.

When I built my cube I had five bare boards and one official kit. The fuses on the AVR in the official kit somehow got reset after assembly but before I soldered all the boards together. Strange, but I was able to fix it easily enough once I figured out what they should be. Fortunately I had bought the tiny ISP to program the unofficial ones.
--Paul

A wholly owned subsidiary of:
Persephone: DL R+W+B C 7 X L W C++ I++ T+ A E H++ S+ V-- F+ Q P B PA+ PL
Aldebaran: DM Rt H 5 Y L- W+ C+ I++ T++ A+++ E H++ S+ V+ F++ Q+ P B++ PA- PL--
pstemari

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.