Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Difference Between STEMMA QT / Qwiic Versions Of BNO055?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Difference Between STEMMA QT / Qwiic Versions Of BNO055?

by ProbablyHumanImGuessing on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:55 am

Hi all, I was wondering for what cause is the price drop when it comes to your two products, the BNO055 IMU and the STEMMA QT / Qwiic version of it? They seem to have different onboard components, but the docs and descriptions are the same. The price drop from 35$ to 20$ makes me think that something is missing on the more inexpensive version of the board, but besides the obvious addition of a connector, I cant seem to find anything.

If anything, you'd think the extra connector would add to the price. Is there a difference, or could it be that newer and cheaper technology was recently invented which outdates the old breakout board; and if so, why not update that one too? As you may be able to tell, I am very confused. Thank you for your help in advance.

ProbablyHumanImGuessing

Re: Difference Between STEMMA QT / Qwiic Versions Of BNO055?

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 am

The original version is an older design. It has a higher part-count and costs more to produce. The sensor performance of both boards is the same.

adafruit_support_bill

by ProbablyHumanImGuessing on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:41 am

Also, I found that the premise of the BNO055 breakout board compared to those like the NXP breakout board is that the BNO055 has sensor-fusion onboard. This is great for projects that don't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to memory, but when it comes to things like a raspberry pi which is essentially a computer, you could probably get by with an NXP, correct?

I was looking at the documentation for the NXP, and it seems as though its calibration process (https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-fuse-motion-sensor-data-into-ahrs-orientation-euler-quaternions/calibration-pre-check) much favors the arduino side of things, and has no real-setup for the raspberry pi, in which case it seems overkill to purchase a BNO055 simply because you don't have to calibrate it, but if you want decent values, is what you'd have to do. Am i missing something, like a separate guide for the rpi not mentioned here, or is this correct?

ProbablyHumanImGuessing

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 am

The BNO055 does require calibration when used in IMU mode. But the calibration routine is built into the sensor. The downside of the BNO055 is that the embedded firmware is not easily modified. And based on some user feedback, there are some use cases that cause it to lose calibration.

Part of the reason that sensor fusion examples favor the Arduino over the Pi is that precise time intervals are a large part of the computation and the Pi is not ideally suited for hard-real-time applications. That's not to say that it can't be done, but precise timing is easier to achieve when you don't have an operating system scheduler getting in your way.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.