Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Multiple independent neopixel strips on PiZero W
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Multiple independent neopixel strips on PiZero W

by juansoria on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:20 pm

I have a lighting project that will have about seven x 25 neopixel strips and I would like to control them independently with a Pi Zero W. I know I can run one strand, but is there a way to do it for more than one? I have used a Circuit Python Metro board before, but I want to change animations with code updates wirelessly. My designs right now are using a Pi 3 with WiFi with a USB connection to a Metro express. I want to thin this down an bit, or make it as elegant as possible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

juansoria

Re: Multiple independent neopixel strips on PiZero W

by mikeysklar on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:09 pm

I think you have a good idea using a Pi3 --> Metro Express. The Pi3 is easy to keep on-line and you can easily monitor the console and modify python scripts for the Metro M0 Express via ssh to the Pi.

I've run many different NeoPixel strands of a single M0 based board. The only code changes is initializing each strip with a unique identifier.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
pixels1 = neopixel.NeoPixel(pixel_pin1, num_pixels, brightness=0.3, auto_write=False)
pixels2 = neopixel.NeoPixel(pixel_pin2, num_pixels, brightness=0.3, auto_write=False)
pixels3 = neopixel.NeoPixel(pixel_pin3, num_pixels, brightness=0.3, auto_write=False)

Since NeoPixels use a lot of memory for the size you are talking about (7x25) and the M0 is pretty limited for memory when running CircuitPython you might want to upgrade to an M4. We do have WiFi based M4's too, but my preference tends to be to plug stuff into a Pi for remote access and full debugging.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.