Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Trouble with PowerBoost 1000C
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trouble with PowerBoost 1000C

by Chevalier_Blade on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Recently I purchased a PowerBoost 1000c board for a project I am working on. Plugging either battery I own into it returns no results at all when unplugged from the charger. When plugged into a charger the blue, yellow, and green LED's all light up, and it does function to power my devices until unplugged from the wall, where it goes back to doing nothing.

The batteries are both 3.7V, with capacities of 2500mAh and 10,000mAh respectively.

My multimeter shows about 4v on both batteries, with 0ohms resistance when they are not connected to the board.

When the board is unplugged with no battery connected the terminals show about 6ohms of resistance, 6ohms resistance and 0v with a battery connected, and 0ohms resistance and 5.2v plugging into a wall with the battery connected or disconnected.

Leaving the batteries plugged in to see if they needed charged resulted in no change. After failure to achieve any progress, I ordered a second PowerBoost (from Amazon) with the exact same results. It would seem I somehow ended up with either two faulty boards, or two faulty batteries, but I am unsure how to figure out which it is.

Chevalier_Blade

Re: Trouble with PowerBoost 1000C

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:42 am

Please post a photo of your batteries (including the connectors)

adafruit_support_bill

by alphanumeric on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Double check that the battery JST connector is wired, polarity wise, correctly for the powerboost. Red wire goes to + and black to -.

alphanumeric

by Chevalier_Blade on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:32 am

So, both boards are dead. My friend ordered a battery from amazon, and once he plugged it into my board a component exploded and burned the heck out of my thumb. When I went to the restroom to tend my thumb, he plugged it into the other board and blew that one up too. Looking at pictures of batteries and boards sold here, it seems that the polarities are the complete opposite of every board and battery I've purchased from other brands. I got an RPi UPSPack Standard V2 on amazon and its working fine with all the batteries so I'm using it instead. I just don't get if I missed some sort of documentation or markings somewhere. Just gonna cannibalize them for components, and not even bother trying for a refund
Attachments
20200818_011704_800x600.jpg
20200818_011704_800x600.jpg (172.16 KiB) Viewed 37 times

Chevalier_Blade

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 am

There are 2 possible ways to wire a 2-pin JST PH connector. So of course there are 2 different 'standards' in the industry. All of our batteries, chargers, boards and cables are wired with the same polarity. Batteries and components from other vendors may or may not follow the same standard.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.