Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Anemometer (1733) over 32 feet signal issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Anemometer (1733) over 32 feet signal issues

by RedOrion on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:41 pm

I'm struggling to get appropriate readings from over 32 feet of cabling. IE the numbers are way off if at all. I have tested the same wires with the outdoor temperature sensor with no problems. Could it be voltage drop or something?

RedOrion

Re: Anemometer (1733) over 32 feet signal issues

by mikeysklar on Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Hello RedOrion,

I've seen the random voltage issue with wiring around a shared ground between your Arduino and the anemometer. Same thing when mixed power supplies are being used. While cable length could be a factor I don't suspect that immediately. If you have a way to test the anemometer with a short cable you could quickly rule that out. Would you like to post some pics and description of how you have wired the unit?

This thread is huge, but helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52244

mikeysklar

by RedOrion on Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Appreciate it. I'm using a Raspberry Pi instead of an Arduino. I've had it working with the standard cable length only no problem... It's wired like this. Should the ground be wired to the Pi? I've tried both ways with no success.

https://imgur.com/a/vhUKegC

RedOrion

by mikeysklar on Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi RedOrion,

Your ground from the 7.5v side is that hitting the ground rail and sharing the 3.3v ground? It should be and is not clear from the photo.

It might help stabalize your setup to solder headers onto some of the stranded wires going into the bread board as it is had to get them to dig into the board with a good connection without a solid tip.

mikeysklar

by RedOrion on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:26 pm

mikeysklar wrote:Hi RedOrion,

Your ground from the 7.5v side is that hitting the ground rail and sharing the 3.3v ground? It should be and is not clear from the photo.

It might help stabalize your setup to solder headers onto some of the stranded wires going into the bread board as it is had to get them to dig into the board with a good connection without a solid tip.

Appreciate it. New update. No solder available at the moment.
https://imgur.com/a/ALTMfEq

I now have the 3.3 from the Pi to the + on the board. With the ground going from pi to board as well. Those are the 2 wires purple and black on the far right. I believe I'm correctly plugged in from the MCP3008 to the Pi...

Apparently the second I plug the temp sensor in everything goes waco. Unplugged it for now. I'm now getting straight zeros.... When I the anemometer no values...

RedOrion

by RedOrion on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Another update. Realized I was plugged into the wrong pins on the Pi.... not sure why....

https://imgur.com/a/FcSkLqM

RedOrion

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.