Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

SHT31-D “cool down” period?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

SHT31-D “cool down” period?

by dmoczulski on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:01 pm

Apologies if this is simple or found in the datasheet. Im more of a software guy and learning as I go with hardware. I put together something simple for a small personal project. It consists of a Particle Boron and the Adafruit SHT31-D breakout board. I currently having it powered by a LiPo battery and in the generic PyCom case sold here. Things seem to work as expected with 1 exception. If I take the box from somewhere hot (a parked car) and take it inside my house, it takes almost an hour before the reading is around where it should be.

So my question, is there some sort of “cool down” period? So I need to tweak something? Or is this more of a byproduct of the temperature inside the case being very warm for longer than the outside air temperature? Just curious if there’s a quicker way to get the correct temperature sooner. If it’s a case problem, I’m guessing that will be an issue no matter what enclosure solution I use and would need the sensor outside the case?

Thanks.

dmoczulski

Re: SHT31-D “cool down” period?

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:11 pm

If the sensor is inside the case, it is measuring the temperature inside of the case. How long it takes to reach equilibrium with the surrounding temperature will depend on the thermal mass of the case and its contents. A sensor on the exterior of the case will react quicker.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: SHT31-D “cool down” period?

by dmoczulski on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of.

For my use case right now, that’s not a huge deal. I may need to modify design to use an external sensor.

Appreciate the quick response.

dmoczulski

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.