Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Chumby Hacker board microSD Image
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Chumby Hacker board microSD Image

by Andyx on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:27 am

I need a copy of the image on the micro SD card supplied with the hacker board.

My dog ate the original microSD card. I also blew it by not immediately reading an image of the card before I started my destruction. I should know better.

I am building the kernel and my board is back up and running, but I would still like a copy of the original image as a backup and sanity check when I break things badly.

Important safety tip
Although most file system and kernel issues can be fixed by booting to the second kernel or using the script to restore factory settings it is possible to brick the board. When you first get the board, lift and pull out the microSD card and use windiskimager32 to read and save the image. This also is a cool way to replace the original tiny card to a much larger card and increase the sizes of the partitions.

I am running the Hacker board with a 4gig card.
What is better than an Arduino? An Arduino with a laser!

Andyx

Re: Chumby Hacker board microSD Image

by adafruit on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:28 am

hm! OK thats a good question, we'll ask the Chumby folks about that. you can also try posting up in the chumby hacker board forums where the chumbyites lurk.

adafruit

by Andyx on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 am

I posted over there about it.

If I would have thought of it sooner, I would have suggested making a 4 or even 8 gig microSD option as a add on product for the hacker board. Tweak out the partition sizes to better suit someone using it for hacking and sell them with the board preloaded with the improved and larger image. Heck put Quake on them too.

Andyx

by Andyx on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 pm

I've had a blast messing around with this board.

These small devices with their cute kernels without all the fancy GUI driven management and configuration tools takes me back to the old days. Now's it all fancy GUIs and Cross compilers, back in my day we had to walk 10 miles through the snow, just to mount a drive and run a fsck and I used to have to start my kernel make two hours before I woke up each day.

Back when I was a rock star, could work miracles and was adored by beautiful women. OK maybe not exactly like that, but I remember it that way.

Although now days its not all bad... engineers are way hotter now.

;-)

--My GF has a Chumby One... I am not aloud to touch it.

Andyx

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.