Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Audio FX Sound Board Came With Wrong Firmware
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Audio FX Sound Board Came With Wrong Firmware

by bartimaeus on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I ordered item 2220 Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board - WAV/OGG Trigger with 16MB Flash through Digikey (Digikey part number: 1528-1465-ND, order number 67058924) on December 7th 2020 and found that the solder joints for the USB connector were bad (no power from USB until reworked). I found that even after fixing the solder connection that the board had also not been flashed with Adafruit's firmware (possibly because of the bad USB connection) and instead had some default FW from VLSI which made it show up (and function) as a USB audio device.

@Adafruit support: can I get a replacement for this part? I can either send it to you directly or if you can support me by reaching out to DigiKey with the order info I provided to make sure that this happens I would greatly appreciate it.

Below is the process I went through to try and format the flash and update the FW (I was not successful). If anyone sees errors with my process please let me know and I will try again. While they provide the firmware files Adafruit does not currently have the firmware update procedure documented on their website.

With the default FW there are 3 steps that I identified that need to happen:
1) Make the board show up as a USB mass storage device (details further below)
2) If the device shows up correctly with full storage space, skip this and go to 3. Otherwise, if USB mass storage shows up but with much smaller size than expected (about 16.5KB), it is necessary to format the flash chip. This is the step that I wasn't able to get past.
3) Load the Adafruit firmware (.BIN) to the flash chip and disconnect USB while keeping the device powered so it can update its own firmware. The flash chip must be correctly formatted in order to do this (see step 2)

Links:
Adafruit Firmware and Schematic
VS1000 Datasheet
VLSI VS1000 Applications page with different FW and some useful info
VLSI PC Software for VS1000
VS1000B Nand Flash Low Level Formatting Procedure
VS1000 Programming Setup Instructions

Step 1 Make the board show up as a USB mass storage device with default Firmware
Per the VS1000 datasheet page 23 (section 7.4.1) "If GPIO0_6 has a pull-up resistor, VS1000 appears as an USB Audio Device. If GPIO0_6 has a pull-down resistor, VS1000 appears as an USB Mass Storage Device.". Per the schematic from Adafruit the GPIO pins all have pullup resistors, so pin 6 needs to be manually tied to ground (on my board the pad labeled 6 was connected to GPIO_6 on the VS1000)

Step 2 Format the flash chip
Tying pin 6 to ground did make the board show up as a mass storage device, however because the flash chip was unformatted the device showed up with name VS1000D_RAM and only had 16.5KB of memory instead of 16MB. Per page 23 (section 7.4.1) of the datasheet "If during power-on the NAND FLASH contained a valid boot sector, the NAND FLASH disk will be used with the mass storage device. The NAND FLASH disk requires a filesystem-level formatting before it can be used. If NFCE had a pull-down instead of pull-up, or if a valid boot sector was not found, a RAM disk is used instead.". NFCE is also GPIO0_10 and has a pullup resistor per the board schematic, which means that the NAND flash was not properly formatted.

I attempted to format the flash using VLSI's vs100D.exe tool, and with mkformat.exe to generate a .run file to load to the VS1000D_RAM drive. I set the following settings for the NAND flash for these programs: Nominal size: 16 Megabytes, Page Size: Small Page (512 B), Erasable Block Size: 64 kilobytes, Bus access Time ns: 70. An interesting note is that the page size options listed in these programs are 512B and 2K, but the page size on the chip used on this board appears to be 256B. Following the VS1000B Nand Flash Low Level Formatting Procedure (link above), I loaded the .run file to the VS1000D_RAM drive and disconnected USB while keeping the device powered, but there was no effect when plugging the USB cable back in (I also tried a power cycle after waiting over a minute after disconnecting USB).

I've reached out to Digikey about getting a replacement but have not gotten a response. I gave it a good effort to try and make it work despite getting a defective unit but I think I've taken this as far as I can go.

bartimaeus

Re: Audio FX Sound Board Came With Wrong Firmware

by lambrio on Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:44 am

Hi, I also had the same problems with Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board - WAV/OGG Trigger with 16MB Flash ordered from mouser,

I was able to reload the original firmware 6M110614.BIN available here

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads

To load the firmware I used the program VLSI SPI FLASH Programming through UART

http://www.vlsi.fi/en/support/software/vs1000tools.html

with the line command pcflash.exe -p (com port number) -l 6M110614.BIN

pcflash.exe -p 2 -l 6M110614.BIN

After I reburn the original image via win32diskimager as described at the beginning of the web page https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads

At the end the uart seriar port of Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board is set to 9600 baud and after a hardware reset (via short circuit between RST and GND) the message appears on the tyeraterm console is this "Adafruit FX Sound Board 11/6/14".

Now the card play the ogg and wav file, but now I'm not more able to repeat the frmware uptate operation via line command pcflash.exe, why ?
Attachments
UART_VS1000.jpg
UART_VS1000.jpg (76.92 KiB) Viewed 240 times

lambrio

by lambrio on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:27 am

I found how to repeat the firmware update.

1) shot circuit between CS pin and GND,
2) plug the usb uart connecor for supply the card and for comunication, the red led switch on and is possible to performe the command pcflash.exe

C:\temp\pcflash100>pcflash.exe -p 2 -l 6M110614.BIN
Data is inverted, reserved blocks 64
Trying to connect..
fe VS1000
Setting up 115200 bps
executing VS1000 code
Programming 6M110614.BIN
16MB
VS1000 Ready, performing chip erase.
Chip Erase complete.
191232 bytes block 373
Programming Finished Successfully
375 blocks programmed in 26 seconds, 7.21kB/sec

lambrio

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm

@bartimaeus Sorry we missed this. Did you get your board replaced?

adafruit_support_carter

by lambrio on Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:59 am

Hi

we bought 50 cards on mauser and 13 were without firmware, we reprogrammed them with the procedure indicated above.

for this time, since we have found a solution, we preferred to solve the problem in this way without requiring the boards to be replaced.

Best regards,

Oscar

lambrio

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.