Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Drawdio Help Please
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Drawdio Help Please

by gotparsley on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi,
I revieved a drawdio kit today and soldered all of the parts on and
everything. All of my parts are in the correct way and appear to be soldered
well, but I am still getting no sound out of the device. My battery is in
the correct way, and I wiggled it around a little bit but still nothing. The
diections say something about ensure a switch is turned on, but I am unable
to find a switch anywhere on the board. Any ideas what may be going on?
gotparsley

Re: Drawdio Help Please

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:08 pm

If you post some photos of the front & back of the board we can have a look for any assembly problems.
Can you also post a link to the directions you refer to? I don't see anything about a switch in the User Manual: http://www.ladyada.net/make/drawdio/user.html

adafruit_support_bill

by mitpatterson on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 pm

The switch he is probably seeing/referring to is the switch that was on the old 1.0 kit, in the pictures on the user manual it shows the switch(as in using a 1.0 kit) so unless gotparsley has an old kit(who would still be selling them) you don't need a switch

he may also be referring to the tips on the drawdio site seen here: http://web.media.mit.edu/~silver/drawdio/start_drawdio-ing.jpg

mitpatterson

by adafruit on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm

older versions of the kit had a switch. the current version does not, it has an automatic on/off

adafruit

by gotparsley on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm

I was refering to the directions found at http://www.ladyada.net/make/drawdio/solder.html
Here are the pictures of my circuit. Tomorrow, I am going to go ahead and use a volt meter to see if I can figure out where the broken link is at. One thing I noticed a lot more once I took the pictures was the burnt plastic. Would this be the problem. They are not deep at all, all just surface burns, and do not see to interfere with any of the solder joints.
Photos [url]files.me.com/gotparsley/svbrrp[/url]
Note: The website will not let me attach photos or a document with photos in it. This is a link to my MobileMe account (Apple account). It looks peculiar but I promise there is nothing wrong with it. It will download a word document which contains the photos. If you know another way I can get the pictures up here, let me know.
gotparsley

by adafruit on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:24 am

that URL didnt work, please post up links to the actual images?

adafruit

by gotparsley on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 am

gotparsley

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:28 am

It looks like you are at this stage of the build instructions:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
With the battery holder in place (but, again, not soldered in) touch both sides of the PCB. A squeaking noise should come out of the speaker! As you press harder/softer, the pitch will change. That indicates the circuit is working.

It does mention a switch there. That's probably just leftover from the earlier version of the kit.

I don't see any obvious cold joints, but sometimes it is hard to tell from .photos. You might want to scrub the excess flux off the back of the board with an old toothbrush and some 90% isopropyl alchohol. Then touch up anything that looks dull, or hasn't flowed well.

adafruit_support_bill

by adafruit on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:33 pm

check your speaker soldering?

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.