FX Sound Board - No Sound

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Carole_Milos

FX Sound Board - No Sound

Post by Carole_Milos »

On April 19, 2021  I purchased the following: - Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger - 2MB pid: 2210

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND HELP!

HELP! Can someone take a look at the set up and let me know if they see something obvious I'm missing? I am a newby to this world and assuming I have something connected to the bread board incorrectly. 

Here's what I've checked already:
- I can see the test files I added to the USB on my pc, see screenshot below:
files on usb (2).png
files on usb (2).png (30.95 KiB) Viewed 173 times
- When I plug it all into the power system I'm using (See photo) or any other power supply I cannot hear any sound at all. no red light. Only a green light.
Set Up..jpg
Set Up..jpg (251.35 KiB) Viewed 173 times
close up set up.jpg
close up set up.jpg (239.53 KiB) Viewed 173 times
The speakers each say 4 (squigley thing)? 2 W I tried to upload a pic but I'm at limit.

- I also tried a 3 AA battery pack connected to Ground (next to the vin pin) and VIN pin I cannot hear any sound at all and I'm getting no green light even with new batteries. Which also makes me think I have some wires crossed somewhere?

-I also tried a second 5v battery pack based on the concern mentioned in the tutorial which just gives me a strong humming noise from the speaker but none of the tests sounds. No red light only green.

-The speakers I'm using do work on other things, already double checked. I ordered better speakers with similar rating but I'm awaiting their arrival in about a week. 

- Nothing is soldered yet, just plugged into the bread board.

-I did try to search for "FX Sound Card" to look at other posts. I spent 2 days reading many but still don't know what's wrong.

My goal is to create a bench with a pressure sensitive switch when you sit on the bench to trigger 1-5 prerecorded random sounds to one of the pins (say pin 0). This was just a test set up to see if the sounds come thru.

Thoughts? 

dastels

Re: FX Sound Board - No Sound

Post by dastels »

Are the headers soldered to the AudioFX board? It's pretty much gaurenteed not to work correctly if not. The speaker connections don't look soldered either. Solder is required for a robust electrical connection.

Dave

Carole_Milos

Post by Carole_Milos »

Nope nothing is soldered. I'll solder it and see what happens, I just thought I could plug it in for now. I'll let you know next week either way. Good to know.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yeah. You're not gaurenteed a good electrical connection just putting pins/wires in the holes. Either screwed down or soldered is a must.

See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering and https://learn.adafruit.com/collins-lab-soldering

Dave

Carole_Milos

Post by Carole_Milos »

Dave, Thank You for the links! I did mention I was a complete newby to this world. I think I'm doing pretty well considering I'm trying to teach myself everything via YouTube.

I did solder everything the following week and it worked! It had quiet but clear sound. I received my improved speakers that week and soldered the leads on them and everything is working great. The sound was louder and clearer. But I was looking for a wider switch.

As I mentioned this is supposed to be a bench about 42" wide x 21" front to back, that you sit on to trigger sounds. And I thought that small pressure sensitive switch was just too small.

I was trying to use a DIY or homemade pressure switch? 2 layers of aluminum foil with Adafruit's special Velostat plastic in between. I saw a few YouTube video's (Main video that I used: https://youtu.be/2XiRnoc8ZRo but I used aluminum foil instead of solderwick) to make this into a switch if you solder leads to the foil. It kind of worked. But not consistently as a switch. So I've switched gears and I'm awaiting a new pressure sensitive switch in the mail. It's 24" long and .25" wide with solderable leads. Fingers crossed....

Is there a way to use multiple pressure sensitive switches connected (soldered together) to the same ground pin? I wanted to add a few surprise sounds besides the main sounds. coming from the long switch purchased.

No hurry on reply, I'm awaiting my new switches. Have a great Memorial Day Weekend! Carole

dastels

Post by dastels »

Multiple switches to the same ground? You bet. There's really only one ground and everything that is labeled as ground should be connected together. You can have multiple switch connected to the same trigger pin as well (with the other sides all connected to ground). That would let you trigger the same sound in different ways. It's also an alternative solution to the small switch: multiple small switches can be used in place of one big one. That might be easier in some cases.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”