ST32F411 Black Pill questions

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kscharf

ST32F411 Black Pill questions

Post by kscharf »

I tried to install the stm32duino from the link in the project page into Arduino. I added the json URL link to the arduino properties page and then searched for the package in the board manager. Board manager informs me that the package is Deprecated and gives a slightly different URL to use, but I get the same message with that one.

I tried using the deprecated package and selected the DFU cube programmer after installing the programmer app.
I tried the blink example, but I get an error trying to program the board, it says no connection found.

I'm running Linux, and the Black Pill shows up in lsusb as STMicroelectronics but not as a serial device that can be seen under 'ports' in arduino.
If I hold down the boot button, press the reset button and then release the boot button the device no longer is seen in lsusb. It also doesn't appear as a serial device, and the boot loader in arduino doesn't work either way.

Is it possible that the ST32F411 chip was not programmed with a bootloader at the factory? It does appear to be running something at power up. Pressing the KEY button causes the blue led to start blinking fast, it goes out when the button is released.

I have a JLINK edu light, I could use this to upload software to the board, but I'm not sure how to do this under Linux.

mikeysklar

Re: ST32F411 Black Pill questions

Post by mikeysklar »

The LED response from pressing the reset button sounds like a bootloader is included.

What platform are you working on (Win/Mac/Lin)? Are you seeing anything show up in the system logs when connecting in via USB-C. Sometimes connecting through a USB-3 port is necessary. Does it make a difference if you use the reset button while connected to see device detection?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”