VL53L0X Not Detectable (I2C) By Raspberry Pi

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Beefchuck

VL53L0X Not Detectable (I2C) By Raspberry Pi

Post by Beefchuck »

I recently received the sensor and today have just started trying to use it. I made sure to wire it correctly with the STEMMA QT port (not mixing up blue SDA and yellow SCL, although I did try swapping them once at one point just in case). Unfortunately, my Pi is detecting nothing on 0x29, or at any other address with only this I2C device wired. The LED on the sensor's board is on, but the Pi cannot detect it. To ensure my Pi's I2C was not the problem, I wired another I2C device I own and it was detected with no problem. I tried both STEMMA QT ports, then soldered on the included pin headers and tried to wire it that way. Neither of these configurations yielded a result. I have not wired the shutdown pin (I'm not accidentally pulling that to ground and shutting it off). Further troubleshooting, I then went ahead to install circuitpython and blinka to run the test code in case it still somehow worked in the code without i2cdetect detecting it, but the code returned an error stating there was no device at that address. I have tried using both the 5V and 3V3 pins to power it, both of which the board is advertised to work with. I'm posting here to see if there is anything big I missed with this sensor that it keeping it from interfacing since I am out of troubleshooting ideas and really hope it didn't just come broken. Also, should it be the case that the part shipped broken, what is the process for requesting a new part from Adafruit? I'd really like to not pay $15 plus shipping for a new sensor when it arrived like this.

Thanks in advance for any help. It means a lot.

Beefchuck

Re: VL53L0X Not Detectable (I2C) By Raspberry Pi

Post by Beefchuck »

Update: Pulled an Arduino out of a completed project, wired up the sensor, installed the Arduino library, and ran the sample code. Yet again, the sensor could not be found or initialized by the program, so even on different devices, the sensor still will not interface as it should.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

Beefchuck

Post by Beefchuck »

Here is the wiring I was using. As you can see, the light turns on, indicating it at least powers up. According to the STEMMA QT article on the Adafruit site, the blue is the SDA line and the yellow is the SCL line, so I have them wired to pins 3 and 5 on the Pi, which is SDA and SCL, respectively. I did try the i2cdetect command one more time after taking this picture and again the grid of addresses had "--" at the 0x29 spot.
Pic for Adafruit Support.jpg
Pic for Adafruit Support.jpg (118.14 KiB) Viewed 368 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Thank you. The connections look normal, and I don't see anything like a connection error.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”