I2C battery monitor for 7.4V LiPoly?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

I2C battery monitor for 7.4V LiPoly?

by code_goddess on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:32 pm

I was looking at your battery monitor for a single cell LiPoly https://www.adafruit.com/product/4712 and it looks like what my project requires except my battery is a 2S 7.4V. Other than that it's perfect. I was wondering, do you carry a similar I2C breakout board that's compatible with a two cell battery? Or know where I could find one? It's a fast discharge LiPoly to run MG995R motors for the legs of a hexapod.

One thing I noticed is I hooked up a voltage meter (item #575 in your catalog) to the little 3-pin connector on my battery and found the middle wire to either of the other wires shows a little over 3.7V, while across the two end wires there's about 7.5V. Makes me think the middle wire connects to the center between the batteries. So I wonder if the LC709203F would suit my purposes if I connect only one battery, or if there's any problem that can happen from doing that.

Thanks in advance!

code_goddess

Re: I2C battery monitor for 7.4V LiPoly?

by blnkjns on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 am

You can basically measure the battery voltage with any analog pin and a resistor divider. So get for example 3x10kΩ resistors, put them in series, and place them between de battery contacts. Now connect the solder joint between the 2 resistors closest to GND or - side, and connect that to any analog input on your microcontroller. Then:
Vbat=valueAnalogInput*boardVoltage*3/1023

blnkjns

by code_goddess on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Thank you! I have an ADS1015 that I wanted to connect and get working, so this was the perfect reason to get that done, haha.

So I now see a value of about 2.46V, which if I multiply by 3 and divide by 2 indicates the average voltage of the two cells is 3.69V. There seems to be two methods to convert that to a percentage: the simple way is to subtract 3.2 and multiply by 100, that gives me an estimate of 49.2%, which seems high given the robot cannot lift all its legs at the same time. The other way is much more accurate and uses some advanced math that unfortunately I don't understand, for example: https://www.mdpi.com/2313-0105/2/2/17/pdf . I was really hoping for the on-chip math.

code_goddess

by blnkjns on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:59 am

The complex math is because the voltage drop is not linear. A fully charged cell is close to 4V, it goes with a slight curve towards 3 and then goes almost straigth down to zero after the tipping point.
So to avoid complex math, you could make a table with time since powered on and voltage, find the time where the voltage drop occures. Then maybe pick 90% of that time as 100% usable time (the voltage drop point is not good for your cell), and start interpolating from your table and calculate the percentage from that.

blnkjns

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.