Safe to charge nominal 3.6V Lithium batteries with Adafruit?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Safe to charge nominal 3.6V Lithium batteries with Adafruit?

by mcandre on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 am

Hi,

I am interested in charging some of my high drain vaping batteries using the Adafruit bq24074 solar charger.

The documentation says this charger is designed for nominal 3.7V, full 4.2V Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) and Lithium-Poly (LiPO) batteries.

Can I still charge my Samsung 30Q's, Samsung 30T's, Samsung 25R's, and so on with this charger? These batteries tend to feature either nominal 3.6V or nominal 3.65V, with full 4.2V.

More high drain vape batteries, for example:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog- ... ries.7593/

IMR18650's are great for embedded, low drain projects. But not so good if accidentally interchanged into vape mods--the batteries run the risk of temperature problems at high wattage.

The Efest 18650 (nominal 3.7V, full 4.2V) seems to fit the bq24074 specs exactly. But the vape community advises that Efest batteries are rewraps with artificially puffed up specs, that don't last too long under strain. So I am not sure whether there are safe batteries to use for both vaping (unregulated mods and mech mods), and also my Arduino projects.

I know that I could use a dedicated LiPoly pack so there is less room for accident. But if possible, I would like to know a high drain Lithium-Ion 18650 that could safely serve for both uses.

mcandre

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.