ESP WROVER Kit Question

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RWDyeJr

ESP WROVER Kit Question

Post by RWDyeJr »

I recently purchased an Espressif ESP32 WROVER KIT. The product description states: "As of April 16, 2020, we are now selling ESP-WROVER-KIT-VB which embeds module ESP32-WROVER-B while the previous version used the module ESP32-WROVER-E. In comparison, ESP-WROVER-KIT-VE has better performance with the same price". As such, I expected to receive the 4.1 board with the older ESP32-WROVER-B chip. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the 4.1 board with the newer, improved ESP32-WROVER-E chip. I'm thinking of purchasing another board. My question: is the product statement above incorrect?
Why would you move from a newer chip to an older chip when the newer chip offers "better performance with the same price"? Which chip would I get? Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: ESP WROVER Kit Question

Post by mikeysklar »

This looks like a typo from our product page:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3384
As of April 16, 2020, we are now selling ESP-WROVER-KIT-VB which embeds module ESP32-WROVER-B while the previous version used the module ESP32-WROVER-E. In comparison, ESP-WROVER-KIT-VE has better performance with the same price
I'm guessing the last sentence was meant to say ESP-WROVER-KIT-VB has better performance with the same price.

RWDyeJr

Post by RWDyeJr »

Thanks but that doesn't sound right to me.
According to Espressif (https://www.espressif.com/en/products/modules)
ESP32-WROVER-E integrates ESP32-D0WD-V3 embedded chip, with higher stability and safety performance.
ESP32-WROVER-B has the older ESP32-D0WD embedded chip and is not recommended for new designs.
The ESP WROVER Kit VE (having the ESP32-WROVER-E module) is the latest version with the best performance.
Still not sure which product I would be purchasing.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I'm also confused about how this is written and which product is shipping. I have mailed engineering asking about what was meant here.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”