Question on the Adalogger FeatherWing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Question on the Adalogger FeatherWing

by sdrocker on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:29 am

Hi, will the Adalogger Featherwing work easily with the IstyBitsy 32u4 or the Raspberry Pi Pico if laid on on a breadboard and connections manually made with wires?

Also this would be for both Arduino and Circuit Python use so I'm not sure if there would be any issues with that either.

sdrocker

Re: Question on the Adalogger FeatherWing

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:28 am

It should be possible to connect via jumpers. You would need power/ground, i2c and spi connections as described in the pinouts. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ada ... ng/pinouts

The RTC and SD card are both supported in Arduino and CircuitPython.

adafruit_support_bill

by sdrocker on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am

Great thank you.

I have another question,

If I wanted to use the ItsyBitsy 32u4, or the Pi Pico, the adalogger feather, and the Adafruit LiIon/LiPoly Backpack Add-On would that all work fine on a breadboard and using a 3.7V LiPo?

Also, I had seen the LiIon/LiPoly backpack has a 5V output on it. Is it likely I can use that to power a 5V analog sensor if it doesn't draw too much power and then use a voltage divider to get the sensor output to be within the 3.3 V GPIO range? I understand it may take some fiddling with capacitors etc to make sure there is no noise introduced with the resistors, etc.

sdrocker

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:30 pm

If I wanted to use the ItsyBitsy 32u4, or the Pi Pico, the adalogger feather, and the Adafruit LiIon/LiPoly Backpack Add-On would that all work fine on a breadboard and using a 3.7V LiPo?

That will work for the 3v version of the ItsyBitsy. The 5v Itsy needs at least a 5v supply and the Pi Pico is designed to be powered by 5v also.

Also, I had seen the LiIon/LiPoly backpack has a 5V output on it.

It does not have a 5v output. That is a 5v input. A 5v source (typically USB) is required to charge the battery.

adafruit_support_bill

by sdrocker on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Thank you. Understood on the backpack 5V pin being an input not an output. Also noted on it working with the 3V version of the IstyBitsy.

Regarding the Pi Pico, I've read in other forums that you can power it with a source that is between 1.8V and 5.5V. Would that apply to your ItsyBitsy RP2040 or the QT RP2040? I'm also considering those for my project.

sdrocker

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Both of those boards are designed for 5v USB power.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-its ... 40/pinouts
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt-py-2040/pinouts

Although, based on the schematics, it should be possible to power via the BAT pin with a regulated 3.3v source. Just be aware that there is no automatic power selection circuitry, so you should disconnect any alternative power source when plugged into USB.

It is often possible to operate components outside of their design specifications and they may indeed run on lower voltages. But we have not tested that and cannot guarantee that it will work.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.