STMPE 610 Discontinued (Product 1571)

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
destockwell

STMPE 610 Discontinued (Product 1571)

Post by destockwell »

I see that the STMPE610 Resistive Touchscreen Controller is being discontinued.

I recognize that the chip itself is essentially obsolete, but is there going to be a replacement? Or should we all migrate to capacitive touchscreens?

What are our options?

DS

mikeysklar

Re: STMPE 610 Discontinued (Product 1571)

Post by mikeysklar »

We still have several types of resistive touch screens some using the STMPE 610 part.

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=resistive+t ... =BestMatch

There are plenty of options of screens with capacitive or resistive touch.

Are you just looking for a replacement touchscreen controller (no screen)?

destockwell

Post by destockwell »

Actually I am looking to build a number of "my own" handheld devices that incorporate a TFT screen with attached touchscreen *and* touchscreen controller. At least for beta testing, I was planning to go with the resistive touchscreen (product 1770) which essentially requires the STMPE610.

Previous to getting the STMPE, I tried the MCP3008 ADC solution but that did not work at all well.

So, if you are no longer going to sell the STMPE610-based controller, do you have a replacement (at least on the drwing board), or have you just made all of your resistive touchscreens obsolete?

Thanks for your response.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

If you do not want use a bundled resistive touch TFT (#1770) then you could look at our AR1100 options for cap touch. Adafruit has been pretty agnostic when it comes to resistive vs. cap touch and I have not seen any sign that our TFTs with built in resistive touch will be going away.

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=AR1100&sort=BestMatch

destockwell

Post by destockwell »

Thanks for the pointer to the AR1100. Looks pretty nice for touchscreen-to-PC-class implementation, given that the output is USB. However, candidly I would prefer output to either SPI or I2C.

While the STMPE610 chip is obsolete, there are several other vendors of resistive touchscreen controllers. TI has a couple, the TSC2007 (I2C out) and the TSC2008 (SPI). Looking at the datasheets, I think I can just whip one of these up myself with a connector, and a couple of resistors and capacitors. Not too complex.

Since I am already putting all of these components onto a "motherboard" adding this (and probably a buck-boost battery charger with 5v0 and 3v3 outputs), should also be feasible.

Thanks for your responses.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

destockwell

Post by destockwell »

Aha... it seems that "great minds think alike" or something like that. Thanks for sharing the video.

hamish

Post by hamish »

The TSC2046 looks promising, tnx.

I need to teach a course (https://iot.unphone.net/) using a touchscreen in < 6 months; do you have any idea if there will be Adafruit library support (equivalent to https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_STMPE610 ) in the near future?

Thanks!

mfk

Post by mfk »

Any progress or update on a replacement resistive touchscreen controller similar to your discontinued 1571 (i2c or spi or both) that will allow us to use an Adafruit TFT with touchscreen and a Raspberry Pi? Ideally with circuit python. The TSC2046 referenced in the 'great part search' video looks fine but I would prefer not hacking something together. Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”