VC0706 reset problem

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Baowz

VC0706 reset problem

Post by Baowz »

Hello!

Currently, I'm working on a project where I'm using an nRF9160 Feather board to take pictures with the VC0706 and upload the images through LTE.
With the nRF9160 Feather board, the firmware runs like a charm and everything is working fine. When initiating the reset function these are the messages in the terminal:

Code: Select all

Camera VC0706
Initializing camera
v(NUL)
&(NUL) (NUL)
VC0703 1.00
No ctrl infr
MI360525
Init end
sometimes:

Camera VC0706
Initializing camera
v(NUL)
&(NUL) (NUL)
VC0703 1.00
No ctrl infr
MI360
Init end
However, I swaped out the nRF9160 Feather (from Jared Wolff) with Icarus IoT Board (from actinius) which is virtually the same board. Did some minor tweaks so the firmware would get uploaded and to run the firmware.
When booting up the board and camera this is what comes up in the terminal:

Camera VC0706
Initializing camera
v(NUL)
&(NUL) (NUL)
Error during reset: -1
VC0703 1.00
Ctrl infr exist
User-defined sensor
Init end
The main difference here would be "No ctrl infr" to "Ctrl infr exist" with an added "User-defined sensor". I don't quite understand what this means?
The hardware should be the same and the firmware is the same, so I do not understand what "settings" made this change happen.
Does anyone know what this change means and how to adjust it to the "correct" setting?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: VC0706 reset problem

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It looks like the nRF9160 Feather is directly programmable, while the Icarus runs the Zephyr real-time OS. That's easily enough difference to cause timing problems.

Your best bet will probably be to contact Actinius and see if they know of any quirks when talking to a VC0706 camera:

https://www.actinius.com/#contactForm

Baowz

Post by Baowz »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:It looks like the nRF9160 Feather is directly programmable, while the Icarus runs the Zephyr real-time OS. That's easily enough difference to cause timing problems.

Your best bet will probably be to contact Actinius and see if they know of any quirks when talking to a VC0706 camera:

Aaah, that makes sense. Thank you so much! When it comes to the "Ctrl infr exist" vs "No ctrl infr" (which I still don't understand what it really means) I was able to get the same output. By using the Comm Tool and doing a "system reset" on the newly bought VC0706 also prints "no ctrl infr" now. This means we can discard that the problem is on the VC0706 side and rather with the Icarus, as you said.

Baowz

Post by Baowz »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:It looks like the nRF9160 Feather is directly programmable, while the Icarus runs the Zephyr real-time OS. That's easily enough difference to cause timing problems.

I do realize now that I'm using the Nordic SDK for both of these boards, which means they are both running on Zephyr. This sadly means the problem is elsewhere. However, one is running on 1.6.1, and the other one running on 1.3.x. Do you think this has anything to do with it? Do you have some other suggestions?

Baowz

Post by Baowz »

Posting an update for people who might experience similar issues.

The problem was the change in Nordic SDK zephyr versions.

The code that I was using was coded in 1.3.2, but I started using 1.6.1 when changing boards. I was able to both compile and run the code without issue, but some changes in the library obviously messed up something. So to save yourself the pain, make sure to either port the code properly or don't change at all.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear you found the problem, and thanks for posting the follow-up. Version issues can be a real headache.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”