HDMI audio extraction

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GBrotron

HDMI audio extraction

Post by GBrotron »

I just purchased a “HDMI 5" Display Backpack - Without Touch” and now I realize that I need the Audio from the HDMI signal accessible within the same enclosure. The issues are, that there is not enough room for an off the shelf audio extractor and I also don’t want to add another power line to this part of the enclosure.
Can I use the “HDMI Plug Breakout Board” to split off the audio info into a “MCP4725 Breakout Board - 12-Bit DAC w/I2C Interface” and then run the analog data into a powered speaker.... or is that madness?

Is there a standardized HDMI pin-out for such a scenario? I can follow instructions, but I don't know a "TMDS data 1" from "DDC clock" if you know what I mean:)
Thanks for any help!

mikeysklar

Re: HDMI audio extraction

Post by mikeysklar »

It seems like you might have a few options.

A Pi4 has two HDMI's. It might be possible to direction the audio to the second HDMI port.

Would you be adverse to direction the audio over the line out, USB DAC or bluetooth?

GBrotron

Post by GBrotron »

I have many options if I want to run a seperate audio signal, but unfortunately I don't.
What I really want to know, is if it is possible to split off and convert the digital hdmi audio into an analog signal within a space smaller than a pi and without having to run more power or add another micro computer... essentially adding just what chips would be on the board if it had an analog sound out port.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@GBrotron,

We don't have a solution that fits your needs for super compact HDMI audio to analog extraction.

GBrotron

Post by GBrotron »

I ended up re designing the back of the enclosure to fit a Pi 3A... I hadn't planned on running the HDMI signal from within the case but I think that should take care of it. Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”